Chapter XII

Phillip whips around, before his eyes could focus slapping the person holding him and yanking his hand away, preparing himself to run. He rubs at his wrist, breathing heavily and glancing up. Travis groans, rubbing his cheek and making eye contact with Phillip, ignoring the hit. "Pip! Are you alright?" he asks, moving closer to him slowly.
    Phillip blinks, his eyes widening as they focus on Travis. His shoulders relax, and he smiles lightly. "Travis! What are you doing here? How did you know I was here?" he says, standing up straight and looking around to make sure no one else is gonna creep up on them.   
    "...I had a faint idea of where you could be. A lead, you could say, I suppose." Travis answers, breaking eye contact and staring at his feet.
    Sal joins the both of them behind Travis, and Phillip waves to him before putting his hands in his pockets. He grasps the two keys, one being a necklace, tightly as he considers showing both Sal and Travis what he has found. A gut feeling compels him to do so, and as he always does, he listens to that feeling. "We should go." Sal interrupts, and both Travis and Phillip agree.
    Phillip stays a few paces away from the other two, letting them lead the way as he looks for any other clues silently. Sal watches Travis stare at the floor as he walks, seeing how he knows the place inside and out. "You okay?" he whispers, knowing how much he was praying Phillip wouldn't be in this cabin.
    "Mhm." Travis hums blandly, sarcasm dripping in his words. "Let's just get out of here."
    Sal nods, leaving the cabin with his group.

    Travis and Sal lead Phillip back to Sal's place, it being the closest where they once were and knowing it is not as safe at night in Nockfell. Who knows what could be lurking. Sal insists that they should all stay the night, and they could go home in the morning. Phillip reluctantly agrees, not too fond of the idea as he continues to play with the necklace and key in his pockets. When they get home, Phillip takes his shoes off at the door, silently stressing. He looks around the house for an area of privacy, unsure of how to hide the items since he didn't bring anything with him. A feeling of impending doom flares in his chest, that they are not supposed to find out about him taking them in the first place. That something will happen if they are to find out. (Guess who finds out lmao ><) "Hey, Philly, do you need any spare clothes? I can wash your current ones for you and get you some extras?" Sal says, placing a hand on his shoulder and squeezing it softly.
    Phillip jolts, shrugging off his hand and nodding slowly. "Yeah, please. Thank you man." he says nervously, chuckling and picking up Gizmo to change his own behaviour.
    Travis watches from the kitchen, double checking for any loose files they've forgotten, his eyes narrowing at Phillips odd act. Phillip makes eye contact with Travis, breaking it instantly and moving away from the living room and towards Sal's room instead, knowing Travis is catching onto him. Sal comes out of his room, bumping into Phillip and laughing. "Sorry man, didn't see you there. Bad eyesight. You alright there, you're acting kinda strange?" he says, his eyes squinting into a smile.
    Phillip nods immediately, giving a half smile back before moving past him after he was lended extra clothes. He puts Gizmo down by the bed, shutting the door behind him so he can change. He sighs when the door is closed, taking the necklace and key out of his pocket, changing into the spare clothes. He stretches his legs before deciding to put on the necklace, hiding it under his shirt. Travis walks into the room without warning, Phillip turning around quickly and hiding the other key behind him. Travis spots Phillip, cocking his head to the side and walking forward to him. "Hey Pip?" he says, his voice low as if he is trying to figure out something.
    "Yes..?" Phillip answers with another question, trying to keep his voice from quavering.
    God, im bad at lying. Phillip internally facepalms, hearing Travis speak up. "Whats around your neck? I didn't see you have it on prior to you being here, or even at the cabin." Travis questions, crossing his arms and raising an eyebrow.
    Phillip freezes, trying to find a liable excuse to tell him. "I got it from my dad before and had it in my pocket till now–" he starts before travis quickly pulls the necklace out of Phillip's shirt, eyes wide when he sees the cross with the key hidden on it. His own necklace matches it.
    "Did you take this from the cabin?! Do you understand how dangerous it is that youve taken it?! You arent supposed to touch stuff like this, you shouldn't stick your nose in things that you dont understand!" Travis shouts, Phillip taking multiple step backs.
    Shit. Sal comes in, hearing the yelling and grabbing Travis's hand, pulling him away from Phillip and towards himself. "Trav, calm down! What happened?" he asks, demanding for a answer and standing in between them, looking back and forth from Travis and Phillip.
    Travis doesn't bother to answer, pointing at Phillip accusingly. "He needs to return it immediately, he is in danger just having it on him!"
    Sal glances at Phillip, spotting the necklace and his own eyes widening before he relaxes and sighs, seeming to understand now. "We will return it tomorrow. We can talk about everything in the morning. It's late, we should get some rest." He says, Travis rolling his eyes but nodding anyway.
    Phillip instantly agrees, still holding the key behind his back. Travis storms out of the room to change, leaving Sal and Phillip alone together. "Sal, I-"
    "Don't. Leave it, Philly. We will talk about it in the morning. However, that better have been the only thing you took today." Sal cuts him off, looking at him expectantly, talking sternly.
    Phillip doesn't answer, hands folded as he still clutches the key. The silence makes Sal's expression change under the prosthetic, taking a deep breath. "Volker, what else did you take." Sal says, clearly upset.
    Phillip slowly holds out the key to Sal, looking away in shame. "We will hide it in the forest sometime tomorrow, while we are walking to the cabin. Okay?" Sal says, keeping his voice low so if Travis were to come in he can't hear.
    Phillip swallows before nodding quickly, lending it to Sal and letting him hide it in his drawer as Travis comes back. "Ready to go to bed?" Sal asks with a small smile of reassurance showing in his body movements, and Travis nods.
    "Okay, cmon guys." Sal says, turning out the lights and getting everyone ready and to bed.

Word count: 1169 words