5: "Fueled by the fear of becoming prey, see how quickly we become predator?"

Itsuki joined you throughout the past two days of the exam. Through that time, you learned he was a bit of a coward, always claiming to take night watch, only to fall asleep halfway through and get spooked when you woke him up.

He came from a small village, north of Tomari, where a demon had scored through all of the houses, killing almost everyone except for him and his older sister.

His older sister had become a Demon Slayer, using water breathing, and inspired the boy to become one, wanting to follow in her footsteps.

"You remind me of her!"

"How so?"

"You protected me! You were really brave, and you comforted me when I was crying." He bashfully finished, earning a smile from you. "She protected me a lot."

"Thanks, Suki." You rubbed your thumb over his knuckle, which he beamed at.

"I'll protect you too then." You promised.

It was adorable watching him smile.

In the midday of the exam, you had hunted for both of you, killing and roasting a rabbit over a fire. Though bland without spices, the taste was okay. 6/10, would eat again. Itsuki would complain, but a sharp glare made him quiet.

I mean, being soaked in rabbit blood is not the best feeling.

But, better than being soaked in your own blood.

Throughout the day, the pair of you had walked through the forest, aiming to find the wisteria grounds as a safe haven. Itsuki held onto your hand as you guided him, watching the floor carefully as he avoided stepping over sticks and rocks, to try and keep himself quiet.

He was like a ninja.

A bad one.

With a soft sigh, the pair of you dug deeper into the forest, occasionally passing the half-eaten, mangled corpses of other contenders.

Itsuki had to pull away, throwing up in pure disgust as the humid mix of fog and decay hit his nose, overwhelming his poor senses.

He once more grabbed your hand, looking down at the floor pitifully as he avoided your eye, embarrassed of his disgust.

You didn't care. It was fine if he threw up.

A ten-year-old shouldn't have to see things like that.

The both of you hid in caves and behind trees, avoiding braver demons who slithered out while the sun began to set.

You both needed a safe space to hide and get some sleep, soon.

____

The sun had fully descended as Itsuki and you kept walking, your legs growing weary and tired as sticks began crunching under your feet. Itsuki was essentially falling over his own feet as his head ducked and bobbed, sleep obviously crawling on his back.

You sighed, brushing away sticks and branches as you passed through a passway of brambles.

When you cleared the entrance, two hands grabbed your shoulders, and a demon girl looked up at you, wide-eyed with tears.

She looked like a harpy, with taloned feet and small falcon-like wings, her orange eyes pooling with tears as she yelled.

"Kill me! Please! She's going to take me!" She cried, gripping your shoulders. "I can't take this life anymore! I need to die!"

Stunned and confused, you let go of Itsuki before grabbing the demon girl's elbows.

"Who? Who's going to take you?" You asked, watching as she looked around her with fear.