Chapter 8 - Spain Trip

"Le," Cameryn asked as she kept her head tilted up at the stars leaning carefully back on Leah's shoulder. She released herself from Leah's grip to turn around and face the silent figure. "Leah, have you been crying?"

"Yes," she said weakly.

"Why?" asked Cam.

"Cameryn, you promised your dad you would wear his name on your back in the red and white at only 9 years old. Not to forget you promised him you'd win a Ballon d'Or," said Leah.

"And your point is?" asked Cameryn in response.

"You're crazy."

"I was nine."

"I know you'll do it. I can see it, as soon as you said it I could see you standing on that stage accepting that award with tears in your eyes as you spoke of your dad in your acceptance speech," said Leah as she moved to wipe the tears from her eyes once more. Then she began to giggle which caught Cameryn off guard.

"Why are you giggling?" Cam fired at her.

"Your favourite player was Alex Scott, and you even have one of her jerseys."

"That's what you're laughing at?!"

"Yes, yes it is, and I'm going to tell her about it. You can meet her if you want."

"What?"

"Do you want to meet Alex Scott?" asked Leah.

"Oh my gosh, yes. It would be a dream come true, to me and my dad."

"Okay we'll talk about it another time, but right now we need to get back into bed before the flight to Spain."

The girls ran into the hotel silently giggling with tears still running down their faces as they reflected on Cameryn's story.

"So, Jayden?" Leah asked once they got back into their beds.

"He's my best friend," Cameryn responded, "would have never made it through Dad's death without him. He was the light at the end of the tunnel always smiling. After Dad's death, we struggled money-wise for a bit, but for our 16th birthday, he saved up money to buy us both tickets to an Arsenal women's game. It's one of my fondest memories of us as siblings, twins and best friends. Okay, goodnight Le."

"Goodnight Cam. You're going to win that Ballon d'Or one day, I know it."

The next morning, the girls hurried around to pack up their bags and get ready for the day. Unlike the responsible people they're meant to be, they left their packing until the morning of.

"Why didn't we pack last night?" called out Leah as she ran into the bathroom.

"Because you dragged me out onto the pitch and asked me about my dad," responded Cam.

"Okay, my fault."

After the frantic movements died down, the pair headed out to the bus that would take them to the airport. The team loaded on and Leah took a seat next to Cameryn. Cameryn's head was leaning on the window staring out to the side of the hotel building beside them.

"What are ya thinking about Cam?" asked Leah placing her arm around Cameryn's shoulders and pulling her over.

Cameryn adjusted her head to rest on Leah's shoulder tilting her head to tuck into Leah's neck. "Telling you about my dad brought up so many raw emotions, I laid in bed crying myself to sleep last night. It also reminded me of the promises I made him on his death bed and now I'm scared I won't achieve them. What 9-year-old promises their dying father they'll win a Ballon d'Or?" she said slightly furious with herself.