The Match Under Masked Shadows | Mafia King Shu

"Am I ready?" I ask myself, gazing into my eyes through the mirror.

The masquerade of the silver deer is a prestigious ball for the elite and high in status. And I was to lead as the ambassador.

My arranged dress for the occasion lay dully flat on the chamber's lounge. Though it is highly exclusive, the gathering was excessively opulent for my tastes.

Located on a small island off the coast, the venue itself is a large, extravagant building adorned with silver and gold decor. With a large marble terrace in the front, it overlooks the vastness of the ocean.

I change my attire with a sigh, a traditional gown covered in silver tassels that flow down to my thighs. Unnecessary attention.

The complementary mask resembles a deer's structure, graced with its royal antlers. Its glittering ribbons flew behind my ears when I placed the piece over my face.

In need of temporary confidence, I acquired my new persona behind the cover. I recoat my lashes with one last stroke of mascara and stepped into the assembly.

In search of the one who summoned my name.

I slipped into the event and converged into the crowd. In a tame ambience where everyone tapped their toes to the music, I found myself holding the hands of Black Swan.

"Were you the one who invited me?"

"Now, now. You're quick to fall, Silver Deer."

Swept up in his courteous pace, we swung our laced hands side to side. As I danced in his arms, I felt the envious glances of the guests. He must be popular with both the men and ladies.

"You're on stage soon," he faintly hushed. "Go on."

The ball began to wind down in time for the main attraction, and the guests eagerly took their seats around the stage.

The music surged in a dramatic crescendo as I noted the host, White Owl, emerge behind me in cue.

I steadied myself, knowing that my role was a crucial part of the performance. As the music faded into a quiet theme, the Owl's voice was introduced.

"For tonight's grand motif and entertainment, we present to you... The Silver Deer!"

A flutter of nerves churned my stomach as White Owl stared at me. Intense lighting filled the stage as all eyes were drawn to the center of the room. I was disoriented and overwhelmed, despite my usual stage experience.

Unnecessary attention. This was not part of our agreement in the letter.

White Owl watched me intently as I stepped onto the show. I turned to him for an explanation, but I received an enigmatic smile and a lean into my ear.

"I would have you killed with a snap of my fingers, so listen to my commands for your own good, hm?"

I choked briefly, but decided to control the hand I've been dealt. My role was to only play the role of an unobtrusive dance, not to lead the performance as a grand spectacle.

The man's expression remained neutral. He would not be stepping in to clarify any further details, leaving to my own imagination my next move.

I performed as originally planned, thinking of a solution as I do.

Come closer.

Force him into the spotlight.

A story of an unrequited love.

I skillfully weave messages to White Owl through my drama, gesturing to his position. Even the stage technicians could not refuse to be in my aid.

He seemed to move in accordance with the signals I was sending him. Before long, he was dancing in my clutches, unable to escape the control I had over the performance.

The curtain closes to his lips over my neck, ensnaring the audience. I felt him gaze deeply into my eyes with a piercing stare.

"Well done."

But I wasn't finished. I bit the string that tied around his ear, unhooking the mask. The thread hung loosely down my mouth, and the dim light elevated the deepness of his crimson pupils.

He took hold of my shoulders and turned me towards him, taking my mask in return. I tried to pull away, but he held me firmly.

I could feel the crashing of my facade as we met our identities. I could barely meet his gaze, and he would know that all I am was a falsification.

In spite of concealing my anxiousness, he remained unmoved by my visible discomfort. Instead, he smugly teased the bashfulness of my reveal. My path is blocked when I attempt to step back.

"You're mistaken. I've chosen you."

As I am able to make sense of his intentions, pieces of the puzzle fell in place. Perhaps we have fallen into each other's traps.

Our adoration could not have reached the end of the road. He would give me everything, and I was allured to the security his nature yielded.

So I simply mouthed, "Shu. Isn't it?"