Chapter 4

Millersville Territorial Prison

Part stone part palisade, situated on a small mesa beside a dense forest, Millersville Territorial Prison was hell on earth for its occupants. Men convicted of crimes from loitering to murder were crammed together in cells rampant with disease, a symptom of most prisons of the time. Poor conditions, bad food, brutal guards, all part of the system's makeup.

Galen Helliwell sat in the warden's office, explaining why prisoner Jake O'Haloran had been incarcerated by mistake and should be released. He had papers from the county court that had sentenced Jake, supporting his request.

"How do I know these are real?" The warden asked, swilling down a shot from the bottle on his desk.

"Because they are, and I doubt very much I could have faked that seal. Send a wire if you doubt me. The boy is innocent."

"Ain't they all." Another shot went into the glass. "Reilly!", he called, wiping his mouth.

A tall man appeared in the doorway, his face set in a scowl, and his hand clutching a coiled whip.

"That kid, O'Haloran, he been any trouble?"

"They're all trouble, Boss."

"You know what I mean."

"He keeps whining about bein' innocent. Got some of the others speakin' out for him."

"I'd like to see him," Galen cut in.

"This ain't a social club, Mister."

"I know what it is, Warden, and that boy doesn't belong here. I want to see him."

"You don't come in here making demands--" His words were cut off by shots and loud shouting, that sent Reilly running from the office with Galen right behind.

Outside, a narrow catwalk ran around the top of the prison yard, and he could see several men with rifles aiming down into the yard. Reilly was shouting questions, leaning on the wall and staring down at the riot taking place. Two bodies lay on the ground, their chains preventing any escape for those fastened to them. A pair of guards were being held and threatened by another group, demanding keys for the chains.

"What is it? What's happening?" The warden ran out, waving at his men, and getting multiple explanations at once.

"They got two of our boys," Reilly snarled.

"Why? What happened?"

Another guard ran up, shouting about what took place, and asked if they should just start shooting."

"Tell 'em to let our men go, and if they don't, shoot one of theirs."

"Are you crazy! They'll kill your own men, you do that." Galen couldn't believe his ears.

"Get him outa here before I throw him in the rest of those animals." The warden screamed.

Galen's gun came out, freezing the three men. "Drop the whip, and you, drop that rifle. Then tell your friends back there to do the same. I mean now."

You better think this over, Mister."

"I have, and unless you want to join your boys down there, you'll do as I say. And gimme the keys for those chains."

"Over my dead body." The warden raged.

"Have it your way, Warden." Galen pushed the muzzle of his gun into the soft stomach, feeling the instant tremor of the muscles.

"Wait! Wait - here's the keys." Reilly handed them over, shaking his head at his boss.

"Okay, now how do we get down there?"

"With them! Are you--?" The pressure of the gun silenced the warden's objection.

The yard fell silent as Galen steered the warden and his guards into the yard, lining them up against a wall.

"Okay, men, here's the deal. The warden has agreed to let me unlock those chains. You let his two boys go and give me their guns, and we can have a discussion about what went on here. First though, I want Jake O'Haloran to step forward."

"How about you give us the keys and we won't shoot the rest of them bastards dead right now?" A swell of voices grew behind the speaker.

"You talkin' for all these fellas?" Galen waited as the mumbling gradually ended. "I'm offerin' a peaceful solution to this with no one gettin' hurt and no reprisal. You let those men go, give me their guns and I'll give you the keys. If you like, you can take the time to bury your friends while I deal with the warden."

A young man stepped forward, along with two others, all chained together. "I'm Jake O'Haloran."

"Don't know if you remember me, Jake, I was at your trial. Don't matter." Galen walked to him and knelt down, unlocking the chain. "I have a letter for your release, you're comin' with me." He saw a million questions coming and he held up a hand. "I'll explain everything later, right now I want you to get those guns for me and send the two guards over with the rest."

The boy's face to face with the prisoners was tense, and not a walk in the park. The leader let the two guards go, but held onto Jake, until he got the keys. Galen studied the scarred face and the bright eyes. "You figured right, Mister. The boy is more important to me." Galen holstered his gun and held out the keys. "I kept my word."

Galen was held at gunpoint while all the chains were undone, and the large crowd of men cheered and danced around. When they settled down, more bargaining began.

"You got what you wanted, Mister, but we haven't got all we want yet."

"If you're talkin' about breakin' out, you best think it over. There's plenty of men here that are short time. Some with families. I doubt they want to go on the run with you."

"I don't care who goes or stays, but I'm goin', and I don't want no back shootin' stranger gunnin' me down."

"In that case, be my guest. I won't stand in your way. Just do it clean, no revenge on the way out."

In the background the warden began screaming threats, and as a group of prisoners moved toward him, his men stepped away.

"W- where are you going? Stop them!"

"Don't fret, Warden, they'll be close by." The prisoners muscled the guards together and locked on the leg chains, twirling the keys and laughing.

"You are one mystery, stranger. But I guess I can trust a man who keeps his word. He handed Galen the gun and headed for the big gate on the far wall, followed by several men. The rest milled about, uncertain as what to do.

Galen turned and addressed the rest of them. "You fellas need to release the warden and his boys. You are all here for a reason, and so are they. I am takin' this young man home, and I'm makin' a report to the territorial judge about conditions here. Things won't change fast, but they will change."

➰➰➰➰➰

"You won't get away with this, Helliwell. And I'm waitin' on the day when some marshal marches you through that gate, and you become mine." The warden sat fuming behind his desk.

"I think you better worry more about all those other men that just left. Word gets out that you let a half your population escape, won't read good on your record."

"That was you! I got proof!"

Galen glanced at Reilly, who looked down and away, pulling at his nose.

"Be good to the prisoners you have left, and that statement might hold true. Meanwhile, I'm takin' this boy home, and I will be makin' a report to the territorial judge."

The Warden stood from behind his desk, scowling. "Maybe I'll just keep you both here - now."

Galen eased Jake toward the door. "You can try." He looked at Reilly, and saw the man fold his arms. "Thought so. Bye, gentlemen, it's been an adventure."