Chapter 8

Barrow Falls was, as described by the miners, just over a day's ride from their camp, and a convenient junction for a small riverboat service and the stage line. Set between rolling hills and miles of bottom land, the town was a neat, clean community, built by homesteaders over long, hard years of determination.

Galen tied Stanley to the rail outside the saloon and went inside, removing his hat and slapping the dust off against his leg. Unlike Pine Ridge, several round wooden tables with chairs were staggered about, and a long polished bar stretched from the front to the back of the well-used room.

"Name your poison, Mister."

"A cold beer would go down mighty good." Galen dropped some coins on the bar.

"Passin' through?" The bartender plunked a large glass in front of him and scraped up the money.

"Matter of fact." He swallowed a mouthful from the glass. "Not too busy?"

"Half an hour and you won't be able to get near the bar. The stage and the River Maiden both arrive at the same time."

"That usual?"

"Every week they both come at the same time. We're a regular little boom town then. You here for the stage or the boat?"

"Nope. Just passin' like you said. But tell me, either of them go to Arrow Bend?"

The bartender leaned back and gave a short laugh. "Arrow Bend! Most of the folks that lived there live here now."

"What do you mean?"

"The big earthquake three years ago. The whole landscape changed. Rivers changed direction, lakes dried up. Even a couple of folks were killed. The only people that stayed I think were miners. They hoped the quake had opened up some veins."

"And the rest moved here?"

"A lot of 'em did. Put Barrow Falls on the map. Business boomed and is still growin'."

"So who could I speak to about a family that might be here now?"

"Who's the family?"

"Name's Connor, leastwise there's a young woman named Lois Connor." A shake of the head disappointed Galen. "Well, thanks for the information anyway. Saves me a lot of travellin'."

He left the saloon and stood in front, looking up and down the street. The bank caught his eye and he figured that would be a good place to start. Most folks use the bank at some time, he thought.

➰➰➰➰➰

Rance listened to the tracker, his anger building with every translated word. Helliwell had sold his horse and tack to some grubby miner. He asked how far to the camp, then set off at a gallop, forcing the others to follow. It was late afternoon when the gruff voice halted the riders, and Gummy Stoddard stepped out of the trees beside them.

"Kin I help you boys?"

"A rider came through here a day ago, sold someone here a Roan along with all the tack." Rance pulled his horse around to face the man, his hand sliding to his holster.

"Maybe. Why you interested?"

"Because he stole it from me, and I aim to get it back." His eyes dropped to the shotgun barrel that raised slightly.

"Don't know nothin' about it bein' stole, but a fair deal was struck and he left."

"I ain't interested in what you call a fair deal, Mister. I want my horse back." The others slowly spread out beside Rance.

Gummy recognized trouble and his own precarious position, and he put his fingers to his mouth and gave a shrill whistle. Rance drew his gun, his horse sidestepping at the quick action.

"What was that?"

Gummy's gun lifted toward Rance. "Just somethin' to even out the odds in case you get frisky - this here is loaded with buckshot, so you and yer horses will pay a price if you start."

"Listen you old--"

"You best listen, Mister, we don't cotton to strangers ridin' in and makin' threats." The loud voice came from behind Rance and his men, and when he turned to look, he saw a dozen or more men, all armed with rifles and shotguns.

"Reckon you best cut your losses, Mister, and ride on. Now I don't know if your story's true or not, but if it's any help, your man was headed for Arrow Bend."

Rance sat seething as he and his men were urged to turn around and leave. I'll be back, and when I come, you lot will regret it, he swore under his breath.

➰➰➰➰➰

Galen slapped his leg at his good luck, and unhitched Stanley from the saloon rail. The banker did indeed know the Connors, and directed Galen to their home.

"Looks like we're about to meet Caleb's young lady, Boy." He mounted and swung around, trotting steadily through the bustling town. Small neat homes seemed to pop up in clusters as he left the main street and found himself in lush grassland, with stands of Box Elders and Sugar Maples. He reigned in and gazed about, So beautiful, and peaceful, he exclaimed to himself. He thought of Bedford Creek and laughed, urging Stanley forward again.

The Connor's house stood with a group of several others, all similarly constructed. Galen left Stanley beside a small picket gate and walked to the front of the house, clearing his throat before knocking. A moment later, a tall, handsome woman answered the door, wiping her hands on her apron.

"Mrs. Connor?"

"Yes. Can I help you?"

"My name's Galen Helliwell, and I have some news I need to tell a Miss Lois Connor and to give her something."

Worry lines creased her forehead, and she stepped back, calling out. A man appeared behind her, his face a mask of curious concern. An hour later, Galen had met the daughter, given her the money and told the family the entire story up to that point. Lois had fled the room in tears with her mother following, while the father offered Galen a drink and sat down to ask him some questions.

"Just why did you undertake to do this, Mr. Helliwell? Was it in hope of some kind of reward?"

"I'm sorry you look on me that way, Sir. My reward was seeing that money Caleb meant for the two of them, reach Miss Lois, and hope knowing what happened would help her movin' on . . . I also felt it was the right thing to do." Galen stood and handed the man his empty glass. "I wish the news had been different, but your daughter needed to know. Give my sympathies to the ladies, and I'll be goin'."

"You are a strange man, Mr. Helliwell," James Connor said, following him to the door. "Not many would do what you've done. I apologize for my thinking earlier. Could I coax you into staying for a meal? We were just getting ready when you came."

"I reckon I must have ruined it then with all the talkin'."

"June - my wife - she can do magic in the kitchen. What do you say?"

"If your women agree, home cookin' would sure add to that reward idea."

➰➰➰➰➰

'Cordin' to the skin, the tracks are headin' for a place he calls Barrow Falls. He says we can camp here, and an hour's ride'll have us there early in the mornin'."

Rance stared at the setting sun, and nodded agreement. They would reach the town, rested and ready. When they found Helliwell, he was looking forward to a slow death for the man that humiliated him, took his horse, and made him track half way across the county.