Chapter 15: Tolling of the Bells

Vi glared at the demonbird on the windowsill. The low light filtered in past it from the slowly rising sun. It was still a wonder after all these years up top, fingers of sunlight gently brushing over Cait's face. It would have been a delight to behold...

... if it weren't for the fact that she had so little sleep her body felt like it was made of hollow metal, rusted and worn at the points of old injury.

Distantly, she could hear a thump and low noises she didn't want to have form into words. She clawed her hands down her face. "How the fuck do they still have energy. How."

"Mnnuuhhhhhhhh," added her cupcake, barely lifting her head from where she was face down in her pillow. "Is this how my mother felt about us on that one vacation? Fucking - young people and their energy."

"They're definitely fucking young people." Vi tried burying herself under a pillow for the third time, so she didn't have to hear another ode to her sister's tongue. "Crownguard should be a damn town crier with the noise she's making."

"You know what the worst part is?" Cait sighed. "She isn't allowed to move out until she's finished her parole in three years."

Vi's groan of pain was almost loud enough to drown out the increasing noises from the other bedroom. Then, she stopped. Her lip curled between her teeth. "Unless - "

"At the office. We'll... talk about it there." Cait's voice was quiet.

"In case what, in case Powder's gotten engaged to a murderess?"

"No. I think that's - unlikely. But something is the matter and... we're both too tired right now. Let's just... try not to... think about it for now. Just in case..."

Vi shifted closer. Wrapped her arms round her wife. "Okay. But if - if Crownguard hurts her. Or whatever your theory is. If Powder gets hurt by this..."

"Then we'll take down whatever hurt her." Caitlyn's soft lips on her forehead let Vi close her eyes and try not to think about the noises next door, or the sick tiredness pooling in her lungs.

-.-.-

The whole room smelled of them. Her skin ached, and her joints were sore like she'd been doing field exercises all day. But the sun creeping through the window just lit up her and Powder, her fiancee, and the mess they'd made together of the bed.

She was sleeping now, just for a little while. Curled against Lux's chest, her breath warm and wet and even. Lux knew she'd pay for staying up later, that it would only amplify her own tiredness, but it was worth it to see her like this. To gently curl fingers into her hair and just look at Powder. At the ring on her finger.

My wife-to-be.

It did hurt, admitting to herself that she couldn't do this with Powder too often. Her skin still buzzing slightly from the absurd Shimmer-high she'd drunk from Powder. Though - well, there'd be toys and fingers and all sorts of things, but it was sad to think that getting to feel Powder's thighs around her face would be a rarity. Was it addictive? Or was it simply how good it had felt to do it? Lux didn't know and didn't entirely care. If there was one person she could let herself be addicted to, it was going to be her |jnëilmꝃnaṽešeiṫn|.

Her finger brushed against Powder's cheek, her wife-to-be making the most adorable little noise and leaning towards it. She had to fight to keep her Light down, to keep herself from glowing so brightly she'd wake Powder up. Even so, she felt arcs of it bursting off the edge of her, around the strange sensation of the ring Powder had given her, distorting and doubling the edges of the light of the sun.