Chapter 31: The Return (Part 2)

Word Count: 3,086
2 updates in one sitting, aren't you lucky? Also, can I just say, SLEEP TOKEN is now my absolute favourite band. I grace you all with its lyrical beauty. And Vessels beauty. That man makes me absolutely feral <3

Drums echoed in the caves. The heavy thrumming reverberated throughout her body as Elodie stood to watch the ceremony. Lights were placed strategically around the cave to illuminate the once dark and dreary pits. Mandalorian's of both tribes had gathered to witness the initiation ritual.

Not even a week had passed since the destruction of the hidden Imperial base that corrupted Mandalore. Their wounds were slow to heal, and their dead were mourned. Elodie was not present when the Vizsla clan was informed of the loss of the enforcer, but she had seen how they were weighed down by their grief since.

Such a coward. Elodie thought to herself, fingers brushing over her bruised collar bones. The iron circlet that encased her neck was broken at the closest possible convenience by the armourer.

The Wolven was not ready to face the family in private in fear that they would find blame in her. She knew that they had been told of his last stand beside her while on the platform, but neither Tyr nor Ragnar had approached her during the week.

Restorations had been made to some of the buried city to make it habitable. The Mandalorian's had become adept in their exile, and were experts in transforming abandoned places into homes. As a collective society, they'd sectioned off a livable zone and were slowly expanding out. The Indigenous Mandalorian's worked on farming from the gardens scattered in caves under the surface in order to sustain their people, while the covert established housing. Bo-Katan's fleet specialised in clearing out the zones of particularly dangerous creatures that still lingered. Their system worked.

It was a privilege to see an initiation, and only members of their covert were invited to witness this Mandalorian initiation in particular. Banners of the Mythosaur were hung to celebrate their culture. The armourer stood knee-deep in the Living Water, a bowl in her hands.

Ragnar walked out of the archway and knelt on the steps, allowing the calm waters to lap at his trousers while he recited the words. The drums stopped, signalling that the ceremony had commenced. Din stood in the archway where Ragnar had come from, with Grogu perched in his arms.

The armourer started the rites of the creed. "I swear on my name and the names of the ancestors..."

"I swear on my name and the names of the ancestors..." Ragnar copied.

"That I shall walk the Way of the Mand'alor..."

"That I shall walk the Way of the Mand'alor..." There was a bittersweet taste in the air. Paz would have been so proud to see his son officially take his vows. Now, Tyr took on the role of guardian for the child. He stood to Elodie's right side, and Bo-Katan to her left.

"And the words of the Creed shall be forever forged in my heart." She continued.

The armourer poured the contents of the bowl over his head in blessing. "This is the Way." She finished.

"This is the way." He solidified his oath.

All of the Mandalorians in the cave reciprocated the vow, "This is the way."

Ragnar stood from the water, mading his way over to his uncle, and stood in front of him. Tyr placed his hands on the child's shoulders from behind, squeezing them to convey his pride.

Din Djarin stalked down the path and placed Grogu where Ragnar had sat. The armourer turned to see the Mandalorian at her side in the waters. "Grogu is my apprentice. He is no longer a foundling. Add him to the song."