Un Omicidio

Chapter name is 'A Murder' for those who don't know Italian.

Thank you all so much for reading this. 🫶🏻

°∘❉∘°

"Lorenzo!"  Someone calls

"Lorenzo!"  Someone calls.  I have half a mind to shoot whoever comes through that door.  The doors slams open and I see one of my Capos, Matteo, rush in.

Fuck.

He doesn't talk to me unless someone important died.  If one my family members died again I swear to god I will kill every damn person downstairs tonight.

"What, Matteo?"  I grit.

"It..It's Marco..He's dead!"  He says quickly, then he looks at the whiskey on my desk and then the empty shot glass next to it.  "Dude.  It's 11 in the morning." 

I ignore his idiotic words and continue on the paper work in front of m-  wait.  Did he say Marco's dead?

"Wait, Marco's dead?"  I ask, standing up.  He nods and I groan.  I sent him up to Russia to keep tabs on the Russian Mafia.  Looks like that wasn't the smartest move.

"Was it, her?"  I ask, and Matteo nods.  I sigh, an assassin named 'Sinister' has gone in and killed every man I've sent to Russia.  So it's safe to say she's affiliated with the Russian mafia.

Fucking hell.  Can't one thing go right for me?

I walk towards the door and Matteo follows, I crack my neck, the muscles popping and relieving me of some mild discomfort.  Matteo cringes at the sound.

"I'll need to promote a new Capo to replace Marco.  Preferably someone who's well versed in transport.  Know anyone?"  I ask Matteo who just shakes his head.

"No, Sir.  Matteo was the best in that field,"  He says with a wobbly tone.

I groan again, lengthening my strides and making it to the kitchen where I see Lucile.  She looks up at me and gives me a small wave. 

"Ehi Piccola Stella. Come stai?"  I ask, she looks to me and smiles, "Proprio bene, Lottie. E tu?"
(Translation: Hey Little Star.  How are you? | Just fine, Lottie.  What about you?")

Luci likes to call me Lottie and I call her Little Star, shit's embarrassing in front of other people though.

"Marco's dead."  I say, she looks down. She does this little prayer every time someone dies in the mafia. That's why I don't really tell her someone died unless it's important.

"Who's gonna replace him?" She asks. That's a good question, but so far I have no clue who. We need someone affiliated with Russian territory and one that won't be killed easily but still loyal to us.

"Not sure yet, Russia is an off zone for us so we need someone who knows what they're doing down there," I say before immediately ending it with, "Someone who is not you." She slumps down in her chair and pouts.

The Italian mafia is hosting a banquet for all the main mafias in order to get acquainted with the new heads.  It will be a masquerade ball, but I guess at least I'll be hearing the new leader of the Russian's voice, which is good enough for me.

Plus I'll know her body size and frame so I might be able to pick her out again if I see her without the mask, probably not though.

I head into my room where I put on a black suit that is fitted to my figure.  Quite a snug fit but it'll do.

By the time I'm finished everyone is waiting on me.  Luci is staring and so is Isabelle, along with, Hades, Luca, Cordelia, and Leonardo.  I'm only taking my siblings and my Underboss. 

"Y'know, you take more time to get ready than I do," Luci says, "And that's saying something." 

I groan and walk past them, Soliders bowing their heads slightly with respect as I walk past them.

We all file into three black BMW 7 Series', the driver knows where to go.

"Word on the block is, the Russian Leader is a girl."  Matteo says, chuckling a little.  I don't miss the condescending scoff he gives after saying that.  Misogyny?  He knows better.

A Russian Donna would be a pain in my ass, but it would also make sense.  My father took me to all the banquets that the Russian's hosted, and beside the Russian Don I always saw a little girl about my age.

We only ever went because he wanted to see if he could somehow work information out of Ivan or that little girl. Never did, Ivan seemed to have trained her not to speak.

I knew we were destined to be enemies from the moment we were born, but part of me wants to..God what am I thinking?

She's an enemy, sorry let me rephrase that, she's not just an enemy, she's THE enemy. 

"That'd make sense."  I add thoughtfully.  "I've seen a girl standing by the old Russian Don during every event hosted like ever.  Might be her."

We all collectively nod and I have to do a double take to make sure we all nodded at the same time.  Freaky shit.

What's weird is I've never seen a male accompany the old geezer, just the girl.  Makes me wonder if his sons were too young, or maybe he had none before dying.

I feel a certain right turn and perk up.

"We're here."  I say before unbuckling, the rest of them doing the same.  Jin, a bodyguard of mine, opens the door for us and we all pile out.  I do a quick headcount before nodding to myself.

Leo takes that as a sign to bolt into the building, I grab his collar nearly choking him as I pull him back.

"You're not a child, Leonardo."  I hiss before calmly walking towards the entrance.  As I thought, we arrived first, then the French, Spaniards, Americans, and finally the Russians. 

Except there's three of them.  A girl around my age who I recognize from the previously hosted events, and two little boys presumably twins.  He's holding one of them with her left arm and this right hand is intertwined with the other boy's hand.

All three have masks on, but I can't shake the sneaking suspicion that I know the girl from somewhere apart from the events tying into the mafias.