Chapter 17:Showdown

Y/N Nishimura (The Ultimate Mediator)

Lisa Manoban (The Ultimate Filmmaker)

Jennie Kim (The Ultimate Architect)

Nayeon Im (The Ultimate Speaker)

Tzuyu Chou (The Ultimate Bubble Blower)

Jihyo Park (The Ultimate Composer)

Momo Hirai (The Ultimate Skeptic)

Soo-young "Joy" Park (The Ultimate Lifter)

Remaining Students: 8

S̶̶a̶̶n̶̶a̶ ̶M̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶̶t̶̶o̶̶z̶̶a̶̶k̶̶i̶ (The Ultimate Competitive Eater)

̶D̶̶a̶̶h̶̶y̶̶u̶̶n̶ ̶K̶̶i̶̶m̶ (The Ultimate Escape Artist)

̶M̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶ ̶M̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶i̶ (The Ultimate Horticulturist)

̶C̶̶h̶̶a̶̶e̶̶y̶̶o̶̶u̶̶n̶̶g̶ "̶R̶̶o̶̶s̶é" ̶P̶̶a̶̶r̶̶k̶(The Ultimate Chemist)

̶J̶̶i̶̶s̶̶o̶̶o̶ ̶K̶̶i̶̶m̶ (The Ultimate Psychologist)

̶I̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶e̶ ̶B̶̶a̶̶e̶(The Ultimate Archer)

̶S̶̶e̶̶u̶̶l̶̶g̶̶i̶ ̶K̶̶a̶̶n̶̶g̶(The Ultimate Journalist)

̶J̶̶e̶̶o̶̶n̶̶g̶̶y̶̶e̶̶o̶̶n̶ ̶Y̶̶o̶̶o̶ (The Ultimate Track Star)

The three of us turn down the third and final hallway. Jennie's room is empty, too. As is my own. Finally, we come across Nayeon's again. To my surprise, however, the door is shut. But Jihyo and I left it open, I'm sure of it.

Without caution, I slide it open and look inside, but it's just as empty as the others. Joy and Jihyo are ready to move on, but I'm not. I remember the typewriter, the envelopes, and the bedskirt. I walk into the room, lean forward, and lift the bedskirt with the tip of the bat.

From underneath the bed, behind the typewriter, is Nayeon. She's staring back at me, her hands cupped over her mouth to silence her breathing. She freezes, and I do too. Now that I've seen her with the typewriter, I'm convinced. She truly is the one responsible for the letters-

She suddenly bursts out from underneath the bed and bolts out of the room, shoving Joy and Jihyo aside.

"Wait!" I call as I chase after Nayeon, but she's too quick. As I escape her dorm, I catch a glimpse of brown hair rounding the corner. I try to follow her, but she disappears down the stairs before I can catch up.

Quickly exhausted, I give up on my pursuit and stop to catch my breath.

Joy and Jihyo aren't far behind, and they soon appear by my side. "She's the traitor!" Jihyo says. "It's been her all along!"

This time, Joy's unsatisfied. "But that doesn't mean she's the mastermind, right?"

"How else would she know our secrets?" Jihyo argues.

"That's..." Inhaling sharply, I continued, "That's actually a really good point. How else could she know?"

Joy's nervous. "Guys, I don't want to kill someone if they're not actually evil."

Jihyo shook her head, "She framed Jisoo and got Sana killed!" she reminds us. "I would say that justifies it!"

"Then you can do it!" Joy argues.

"We can't let her get away with this!" The composer doubles down.

"Maybe there's another explanation?"