Merlin's Arrival

Catalina's POV

I sigh as I look around prince Arthur's chambers. Why can't he clean up a little? Morgana does for Gwen. Honestly I wish sometimes Gwen and I could swap places. Though at least Arthur treats me better then he does the man servants. I saw him using one for target practice on the training grounds when I opened his window to air out his room. Will he ever grow up?

Instead of watching like I see Gwen doing from Morgana's room. I get started on my job. As it will take longer then Gwen's. Once it was done, I take his dirty clothes down to the laundry room to wash them. The one thing I can never find is the jacket he wears to important feasts. He likes to keep it hidden until the day before, then has me clean it. It takes forever to get the stains out.

As I walk through the castle King Uther appears in front of me. "Catalina, where's Arthur?" he asks me.

"Training my lord" I say as I bow my head curtsying.

"Well if you see him, tell him he is required to be there when Lady Helen arrives tonight" he tells me.

"Of course my lord" I tell him. I drop the clothes off at the laundry room. Another maid said she'd start cleaning them for me. I thanked her and then go in search of Arthur. I find him leaving the training grounds. "Prince Arthur!" I call.

"Ah Catalina, how are you this fine morning?" he asks.

"I'm fine, I have a message from your father" I tell him.

"What's he want now?" he asks me.

"He says you are to be there to greet Lady Helen tonight" I tell him.

"Ah, will I'm afraid I have plans with the knights tonight. You will go in my stead" he states.

"But..." I try to protest.

"Do I have to make it an order?" he asks with a raised eyebrow.

"No" I say bowing my head.

"Excellent, have a nice day" he tells me. Before leaving. Great, what am I going to tell the king this time? I told him Arthur was to tired from training to attend. Uther brought it thankfully, but said Arthur has to be there tomorrow to hear Helen sing. I assured him Arthur would be there.

(Next day)

Gwen and I had some free time after our morning duties. She was telling me about the young man who stood up to Arthur the other day on the training grounds. As we walk through the lower town together. "That's him there" she says gesturing to the person in the stocks.

"Lets go introduce ourselves" I suggest and she agrees. As we draw near I notice his stunning blue eyes. They look amazing with his dark raven hair.

"I'm Guinevere, but most people call me Gwen. I'm the Lady Morgana's maid" Gwen says.

"Catie, Prince Arthur's maid" I add.

"Right. I'm Merlin" he tells us. He reaches his hand further out of the stocks to shakes our hands one at a time. "Although, most people just call me Idiot" he states and I giggle.

"No, no, no. I saw what you did and just told Catie. It was so brave" Gwen tells him.

"It was stupid" Merlin tells her.

"Well, I'm glad you walked away. You weren't going to beat him" I tell him.

"Oh, I- I can beat him" Merlin says with a snort. I share a look with Gwen.

"You think? Because you don't look like one of these big, muscle-y kind of fellows" Gwen tells him.

"Thanks" he says.