Chpt. 4 - Nightmares Too

"You wanna get out from under there?"

What sort of question is that? Of course, you don't. You're going to live here now. You're never leaving this tiny, cramped space till you rot away and die. The stained underside of some IKEA desk was your new home.

Well, since your actual home was seeming less and less like an option. Which kinda sucks, because you're feeling surprisingly possessive of your stuff. You don't want fancy dresses or bubbly champagne, you want your ratty couch and the neighbour's cat that liked to visit in the middle of the night. Your mother was right, you were the type of person to never be happy no matter what. You could appreciate the food, though.

Shaking, trembling, knees clutched to your chest, you look up. Slowly, because you'll probably piss yourself if you don't.

Now that you weren't holding his hand, the vigilante known as Red Hood was much, much scarier. He was sitting on the carpeted floor with you, but he still somehow looked incredibly menacing. You preferred his old look, honestly. The helmet had less 'grim reaper' vibes. The hood and metal face mask made him seem like a cyborg assassin, or something equally terrifying. He was terrifying.

Still, you could appreciate the insane sort of hilarity of this situation. The notorious crime fighter and crime committer was sitting here with you, crossed legs, twiddling his thumbs away. You press your face into your hands, laugh, and then scream. The sound is muffled, but he probably still hears the exciting new phase of your breakdown.

"Don't..." your voice cuts off, you have to think before you can manage to speak again, "Don't you have something better to be doing?"

His giant shoulders shrug.

"I've got time."

Did he? You don't know how long you'd been up here, how long you'd been sitting here either. You'd fallen asleep, despite your desperate fight not to, so it could be anywhere between 10 to the next day. Had you missed midnight? God, you hoped not.

That stupid little ritual is what convinces you to leave. Not common sense, not the Hood, not your desperate desire to get home and sleep. No, it's the image of your mother's tired smile, the city in the background as you wish her another happy birthday after a long day of work. It's a memory you're not willing to give up, even if you technically already made your wish.

You'd lived this awful day twice. You got to blow out your candles twice, too.

Slowly, surely, you climb out from under the desk. Red Hood is quiet, careful. He doesn't move apart from a subtle shift in his hood, suggesting he's watching you. He's acting like you're a wild animal or something, like he might scare you off, or might prompt you to attack.

If he tries anything, you will. It doesn't matter that he could snap your neck like a twig. Maybe he's right to act that way, you're feeling pretty feral right now. Half giving him your back, you turn the monitor for the computer on. It's Wayne property, so you think you technically have some right to it. It's not like you're going to hack it or anything, you just need it to-

11:48.

"Thank god," you sigh, relieved. Still, you're not out of the woods yet. You needed at least a lighter, hopefully, a candle and a desert of some kind too. There were lots of cakes downstairs, if you felt you could do it. Big 'if' there. The mental breakdown was still well underway. And not everyone could dodge a punch like Red Hood could. Knowing you, you'd probably get sued for millions if you accidentally snapped at some poor rando.

Let's start small. You wrench open the office's drawer and start rooting around. You find lots of things, a Wayne Enterprises-themed stress toy, a kid's drawing of them and their parent holding hands, and a surprising amount of hand cream, but no lighter. You slam the drawer closed and move to the next one.