Chapter 5

I stand there for long, my Dad comes up behind me, rubbing my shoulder.

"What happened between you four? Why'd they leave like that?" He asks.

I shrug him off, "I just want to be alone-" I look at him with tears welling up, "-please?"

He nods slowly and backs out of the room.

I sit down on the bed and stare at a dark spot on the wall.

A young girl is playing in a park, she stops to smile brightly at her father, who sits and stares back adoringly.

She walks behind the slide to go on the swing, away from her father's vision.

She is looking down as she walks, but looks up when she bumps into someone.

It's a burly boy, around her age, he is looking down at his ice-cream, on the ground because of the girl.

He towers over her, and folds his arms. He takes a step forward and nudges her with his shoulder.

She stumbles and falls, crying out as she does. Her father is reading a book, too far to hear his daughter.

She looks around and looks back at the boy, he pulls her up by her hair.

She looks at him with tears trickling down her face, and he shoves his fist into her stomach.

The girl doubles over and starts wailing, looking for her father. She looks back at the burly boy, now getting ready to kick her.

He pulls his right foot back, but then, he falls to the ground, right next to the girl.

The crying girl looks up, only to three girls standing with arms crossed at the boy.

A girl with huge glasses pulls her up, and smiles at her, "I'm Madeline, you can call me Maddy!" She exclaims.

"I'm Beatrice, call me Bea." The girl who looked like their leader, said.

"I'm Eva, I go with E, though." The last girl, with braces, grins.

"I'm Tavora." The girl sniffles, wiping her tears with her sleeve.

Beatrice, or Bea, looks back at the boy, who looks up at them angrily.

"She's our friend now, so you better stay away from her, bitch." She tells him, Tavora looks surprised at her choice of words, but still smiles.

Tavora looks around for her father, and finds him talking to three men, they sit on the bench and engage in laughter. 

"That's our dads."  Bea says, grinning.

"Isn't it supposed to be, Those are our dads?" Maddy asks, looking at her shoes.

"Shut up, I know how to speak English." Bea said quickly. 

Tavora immediately knew Bea's character.

E cut the tension with her choice of words, "What if, four of us go get ice cream?"

Bea pretended to think for some time and then nodded, "I was thinking of the same thing."

I smile with tears in my eyes as I think of the times we were inseparable to the point that Bea and E's fathers had to change schools just to keep all of us together.

I hear knocking on my door.

"Go away Dad, please." I say loudly with my eyes closed, laying back on the bed.