𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞 - 𝐮𝐧𝐭𝐢𝐥 𝐢 𝐤𝐧𝐨𝐰

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; the valiant never taste of death but once."
—Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗

⠈⠂⠄⠄⠂⠁⠁⠂⠄⠄⠂⠁⠁⠂⠄⠄⠂⠁⠁⠂⠄

╔═*.·:·.✧ ✦ ✧.·:·.*═╗

five • until i know

My breath is ragged before I even begin to pump my legs full force. I keep my head down, weaving between other cloaked figures toward the gaping archway that leads upstairs to the tavern. They turn their heads as I tear past them, roar in protest as I knock glasses of juice and platters of food from their hands.

"Someone grab him!"

Vaydah's voice is dangerously close and I make the mistake of looking over my shoulder. Zori is right there, yellow eyes flashing as he swings something at my head. I jerk backward, narrowly avoiding a direct blow, but I'm not unscathed. I feel the skin just below my hairline tear, feel warm blood snaking down my face, between my brows, into the collar of my shirt. My feet scramble to take me farther away, but I teeter back and start to fall..

Zori, a sadistic grin on his face, advances. He raises his weapon. Now, I can see it's an incredibly thin and incredibly pointy blade. He's seconds away from plunging it into my chest. In a wild panic, my hand shoots to my side as I hit the floor, coming back up in a blur and releasing one of Father's throwing needles at his face. It lands true, embedding itself in the spot right between Zori's eyes.

"Agh!"

I watch, petrified, as he tumbles backwards. He hits the ground hard, taking multiple people, including Vaydah, with him.

It takes a second to get my feet under me. When I do, a large hand closes around my wrist.

"Let me go!" I yank, but the fingers don't loosen their hold.

"What do you think you're doing?"

I don't even look the owner of the rumbling voice in their eyes. My hand disappears into my cloak again, and I lose another needle, simply stabbing it into this guy's arm. He roars and releases me. I wiggle away, wiping the blood from my face and setting my gaze on that archway. I can make it. I can get out of here.

No one else tries to stop me. The room is so large that, eventually, the people I run past have no idea there's a commotion at all. They only see some crazed, panicked foreigner running like his life depends on it.

I don't stop when I reach the archway or the stairs. My breath is laborious when I finally arrive at the door that led me down here. I pound on the wood, gasping and terrified. I look back into the gloom below at the sound of heavy footfall.