Fixing Us | Three

The clock struck at two o'clock and Mom requested my presence in the kitchen. Whenever there's a gathering in our house, it's no longer a question that Mom would call for my assistance.

"Sweetheart, please cut the baby carrots diagonally in chunks," she called to me, as she halved the potatoes. We're currently preparing for Balsamic-roasted Baby Potatoes and Carrots.

I did as I was told. And for the next two hours or so, Mom barked orders for me to do. She made me cut ingredients to pieces, cook some dishes that I have mastered for the years she had taught me, and prepared the desserts (since that's basically my forte).

Remarkably, I did my Chocolate Cheese Ball and Canadian Maple Walnut Layer Cake with Fudge Frosting perfectly. This is the only second time I've made those, and I was surprised at how good and delicious they looked and tasted (yeah, I've tasted it).

You'd probably wondered why Mom and I had to cook so early when the gathering happens at 7:00PM tonight. Well, from what I've gathered, mom had invited majority of our family friends, and there's just too many of us. We even made two Roasted Turkeys.

Mom even made a salad exclusive for Maja. From what I've told you guys before, Maja and I have been friends since I was in diapers. And even though she became officially vegetarian somewhat four or so years ago, Mom had been considerate of my best friend's food choices.

"Isabelle, what time is it?" Mom asked after placing the food on a bowl that suited its amount.

I looked at the wall clock for a second. "It's already quarter to six, Ma," I told her.

"Okay, then. I can take it from here, sweetheart. Go change upstairs and make yourself presentable. There are many of us celebrating Thanksgiving here tonight," she stated while glancing at me for a moment.

My eyebrows pinched together. "What is there to dress up for?" I questioned, placing my left hand on my hip.

Mom pushed her hair away as she exasperatedly sighed while looking at me. "I just told you there are many of us. That doesn't just include Maja and Aspen's families okay? Besides, your Gramps and Granny are probably coming over for dinner too. If your Uncle Bran wouldn't celebrate Thanksgiving with them, that is."

I sighed. "Fine," I mumbled.

Mom called me back just before I exited the kitchen. "And please call Carlo for me. I need him to help me cleaning up the kitchen," she said. I only nodded at her though and made my way out of the messy kitchen.

Carlo was sitting on the living room as he watched ESPN. "Yo, Carl," I called to him. "Mama needs you in the kitchen."

My brother brushed his fingers through his dirty blond hair. "Coming right up!" he answered as he pushed himself off of the couch.

And as I went to the stairs, I saw my brother heading to the kitchen to help Mom. While they do their business in the kitchen, I went into my bedroom and headed for a nice hot shower. I had spent a lot of time in the kitchen and even with the exhaust, I still felt stinky and smelly.

I spent thirty minutes max in the shower. When I got out, I immediately picked my favorite washed denim dungaree shorts and a black lace long sleeved top. I placed my choice of clothing on the clothing hook first as I was covered with my fluffy blue bathrobe. I headed to the outlet, reached for my blower, and blow-dried my hair.

I brushed my wavy hair. And put on foundation, eyeliner, mascara and lip balm on the respected parts of my face. After finishing my light make-up, I pulled my choice of clothing from earlier on the top of my black undergarments. Then, I brushed my hair again before putting it on a neat side braid.