Invisible Smoke

Lyra Foster had a gift—or perhaps a curse, depending on how you viewed it

Lyra Foster had a gift—or perhaps a curse, depending on how you viewed it. She possessed an uncanny ability to see the good in everyone she encountered. Where others saw flaws, she saw hidden virtues, convinced that every soul harbored a kind heart. Criticising someone without first understanding them? Absolutely unthinkable for her. This was both Lyra's greatest strength and her greatest weakness.

To the demigods, it was her "fatal flaw."

Yes, Lyra was a demigod—a daughter of Apollo, the god of the sun, art, truth, medicine, and prophecy. Despite the pride she held for her divine lineage, she often longed for the simplicity of an ordinary life. Mortals might find their trust betrayed occasionally, but for Lyra, the stakes were monumental.

Time after time, those she trusted let her down. They caused her pain, both emotional and physical, and some even tried to end her life—whether intentionally or by accident.

Yet, no matter how many times she was betrayed, Lyra remained unshaken. Her heart stayed wide open, her trust effortlessly given. It was both admirable and terrifying. She loved with a fierce intensity, believed with unshakeable faith, and hoped with an endless resolve. Perhaps it was this unwavering trust that allowed her to survive so many close encounters; her belief in the goodness of others made her resilient.

In a world often shrouded in shadows, Lyra Foster was a radiant beacon of hope. She dedicated herself to rescuing those who seemed beyond saving. The very idea of her loved ones embracing darkness made her heart ache. All she wished for was their happiness and safety.

But no matter how hard she tried, she couldn't save them. Despite her relentless efforts, she was condemned to watch as the people she cherished drifted away and suffered, powerless to alter their destinies.

That was her curse.