𝙀𝙄𝙂𝙃𝙏, fluke

F1 DAILY NEWS, OPINION COLUMN – APRIL 15TH, 2019

Was Noura Denoire's opening Grand Chelem a fluke?

By: Anonymous

As you are surely well aware, if you are in any way interested in the world of Formula One, Red Bull's rookie, Noura Denoire, made a splash in her first ever F1 race. The Egyptian driver came first in qualifying and led every single lap of the race, earning herself her very first race win along with the title of a Grand Chelem, or, as it's known in other sports, a Grand Slam.

Many were excited by the entrance of a young girl into the sport of F1, certainly one as seemingly talented as Denoire, but I was skeptical.

Sure, I do think that Noura Denoire is certainly talented, but does she really have what it takes to make it in F1? Many people thought her Slam was just proof that she does have what it takes. I disagree.

I know so many of you are going to take this as me saying that I don't want women in F1, and that is not the case. I think, that if a woman is talented enough, she is welcome to be in F1. I just don't know if Noura Denoire is that woman.

Noura Denoire's win, while being impressive, was not just her talent at play. Sure, it's admirable that she was able to keep her cool with the whole grid behind her, but is that a testament to her abilities, or to her luck? Denoire would never have won if it wasn't for two things, the abilities of the Red Bull mechanics, and the mistakes of Mercedes.

If the Red Bull mechanics had not given Denoire a remarkable pit stop, and if Mercedes had not blundered their own pitstops, Denoire never would have escaped the undercut.

Now, I was ready for Denoire to prove me wrong and pull out another podium, or even another win, but all she's managed to do is pull out two P5s in a row, in Bahrain and then in China. Less than impressive if you ask me.

But, what can I say? We'll just have to see what Denoire has to pull out next

VIEW COMMENTS!

USER7:
the way this is just blatant sexism? you're commenting about noura 'not performing' (which she has been, hello) when two of the other rookies haven't even gotten points and the other has only gotten 7 points, and you aren't saying anything about them not being deserving?

USER1:
you say noura's p5s are bad when she got one of them starting in p20. also since when is p5 bad? especially as a ROOKIE

USER9:
the way you're undermining noura's win by calling it luck REEKS of sexism? she managed to stay over 22 seconds ahead of a mercedes on olddd tyres AND managed to get first place in her first EVER quali. that win was hers and her alone

USER0:
you say denoire winning was just luck when every win in f1 takes luck

IN MORE NEWS!

OUR FAVORITE 2019 GRID FRIENDSHIPS: THE ROOKIES, THE RED BULL TEAMMATES, DENOIRE AND LECLERC, AND THE MCLAREN BOYS