Chapter 1

Shadows of the night had long since covered the forest floor. A sea of green towers that shadded the plush ground below stretched out as far as the eye could see. Sounds of gentle skittering and the rustling of fallen leaves could be heard as creatures both large and small lumbered off to their beds, an evening of peaceful slumbering anticipated by the sleepy. However, there were those that refused to retire in the late evening hours, opting to spend the time of resting to sing their haunting lullabies to those drifting into dreamland, that of the silver moon their spotlight. 

Twigs snapped under the subtle steps of paws that made their way through the never ending forest. A powerfully calm presence radiated through the darkened world of trees, the call of the owls song its theme for the evening to come. The only thing that disturbed the calling hoot of the owl was that of the thick foliage that was disturbed by the lithe strong body of ash brown fur pushed through until it emerged on the other side. A female wolf with golden eyes now out in the open for all to witness its beauty glanced around, sniffing the air to make certain she was alone on the ravine. 

Reassurance washed over her, certain she was on her own under the watchful gaze of the nocturnal creatures her footsteps became less cautious and quickened towards the opening valley cliffs awaiting in front of her. The young female wolf only stopped when her front paws met with the edge of the stoney ledge, aware of how close she was to toppling over. However, there was no fear in her golden gaze, only knowing of her surroundings as her attention rose high towards the night sky. 

The soft grassy earth that made up the forest ground transitioned into a stone ledge that stretched out over the valley down below. Grass turned to moss, giving a couple of soft patches to walk on, but most of the ledge remained hardened rock underneath the paw pads of the wolf. Thick green vines dangled off the ledge, their bottoms hanging high above the valley floor. It was as if the vines were reaching for the flowery bottom below, but it remained without, too far out of their grasp for them to rest upon. 

However, it wasn't the view of the valley that the as brown she-wolf was there for. 

The young wolf's golden gaze had rose from the peaceful valley below to the star filled sky that hung over her head. Her attention had been immediately pulled towards the moon, its silvery glow lighting the shadowy dimness that encapsulated the forest floor. It sparkled so vibrantly, hypnotizing any nocturnal animal or those unable to sleep with its beautiful gleam. There was an unnatural wonderment, a want to see it up close and grasp that beautiful glow of light with her paws. She wanted to hold onto it tightly, make it her own and never share it with anyone else. She wanted the silvery light to be her secret and hers alone, but that would never be the case. 

As if resigning herself to the thought that all she would get was the mesmerizing sight, the ash brown wolf lowered herself to down upon the stone and moss that rested under her paws. Her tail wrapped around the right side of her hind haunches to keep the warmth trapped within her thick fur, a slow breath escaping from her muzzle. 

"I wonder if your glow is as beautiful up close as it is at a distance." 

The thought was a simple one, a single one she had had many a times since she was no more than a pup barely off her mother's teat. 

"Why must you be so far away?"