2. The Bold One

Shy sunrays were slipping through thick curtains. I looked at them not yet fully awake, shaking the remnants of sleep from my eyelids. Uh, that was such an odd dream. I yawned and stretched stiff muscles, pulling the blanket over my shoulders. Window was still open, so morning air has already filled the bedroom. It was sending cool chills down my spine. I got out of bed and opened curtains. The sunrise glowed pink as it slowly floated over the forest. I looked at the blissful scenery with delight. The only thing I was missing was something sweet to drink.

One of my hands rubbed away sleepy eyes, the other one reached for the mug I had left on the desk. I tilted it towards chapped lips but to my surprise not even a drop came out. I frowned but quickly shrugged and started my morning routine. I probably drank it all during night.

First I checked whether my plants needed water. Then some humming and dancing in the bathroom. And last but not least, I brewed some mint to wake myself up.

This is how most mornings went for me in every place I've ever lived. But this time, something was different. It struck me when I looked at my reflection after brushing my teeth. The same calm girl with a round face, freckles, and a tiny scar above her eyebrow was looking back at me. Those same green eyes sparkled energetically as I buttoned up my favorite oversized shirt. And yet, something had changed. I ignored the strange feeling as I prepared myself a bowl of oatmeal. The Friday morning seemed quiet and peaceful—until my father burst into the kitchen like a hurricane.

"How's it going, Pebble?" he asked, fastening an elegant watch on his wrist and grabbing his thermal mug on the way.

"Very good." Another spoonful of granola landed in my mouth. Dad was preparing coffee, but not like he used to. Usually, it was a whole ritual for him. Now, he was in a strange hurry. This was unlike him. "Are you going somewhere?" I asked, watching with surprise as he tossed an apple between his hands several times.

"To make it to the conference, I have to leave before eight," he explained, and suddenly I remembered that he was supposed to be gone for a few days. The geological gala, of course. "I'm leaving money under the toaster," he said, waving a few bills before sliding them under the device. "Call me if you need anything. Good luck at school." Before I could respond, he threw on his jacket and left the kitchen. A few seconds later, I heard the engine clatter of the old car he'd bought right after our arrival in Arcadia.

A little sigh escaped my lips as I stared out the window at the dense forest. Well, you're on your own, Hira. As always. 

I was almost late for school because my mind kept wandering, but I managed to get there just in the nick of time. The corridor was slowly emptying, with students filing into classrooms as their conversations quieted down. I saw the door to my classroom closing, so I sprinted toward it, slipping between the doorframe and the blue-painted wood. Waves of relief washed over me when I realized I had made it in time.

"Take your seats quickly, we have a lot to do today," Ms. Janeth said, looking down at me and the other students as she pushed her glasses higher up on her nose.

Math was my Achilles' heel, so I preferred to focus on the lesson. And I was doing quite well until something interrupted me. A piece of paper hit me in the head. I turned around with a dissatisfied expression. There was a boy sitting behind me whom I had never seen before. He was rather stocky, and I couldn't help but feel a friendly impression from him. An apologetic smile curved his lips, and his braces flashed in the sunlight.

"Big sorry, could you pass this to him? Pleeease," he whispered, pointing to the boy in a blue sweatshirt sitting in front of me, who was dozing off with his cheek resting on his hand.

I nodded hesitantly, picking up the message from the ground. At that moment, Ms. Janeth turned around, looking for someone to solve the problem at the blackboard. I immediately focused my eyes on my notebook.