.10 | london boy

===========================

the next morning, ricky awoke with a brutal headache gnawing at his temples. unsure whether it stemmed from sleep deprivation or the regrettable texts he exchanged with gina the night before, he found himself plagued by their words echoing relentlessly in his mind.

"if you really are just friends, then act like it."

initially, he had wanted to retort sharply, but as dawn approached, gina's words began to carve deeper into his thoughts. could she be onto something? after all, she was his girlfriend. perhaps reigning in their overly affectionate behavior could dispel the rumors and speculation surrounding them. but the more he dwelled on it, the more the pounding in his head intensified.

groaning, he buried his face in his hands, feeling the tension knotting his curls as he tried to fend off the throbbing ache. each attempt to quell it proved futile, the pain resurging with each blink.

"hey, ricky? everyone's waiting for you at the dining hall for breakfast." 

nini salazar-roberts' voice pierced through his haze, pulling him back to the present. panic surged within him. he couldn't face her now, not like this.

struggling to maintain composure, he sat up, keeping his distance as nini settled on his bed, concern etched into her features.

"are you okay? you look terrible," she remarked with a sympathetic laugh.

forcing a strained smile, ricky brushed off her concern, his head pounding harder with each passing moment.

"y-yeah, i'm fine. just a headache," he said, the strain evident in his forced smile as he tried to dismiss her concern, though his head pounded harder with each passing moment.

"are you sure-" nini started, but ricky cut her off, his patience fraying.

"yes," he snapped, immediately regretting his sharp tone as nini's expression fell. he bit the inside of his cheek, still avoiding eye contact with the brunette girl.

"what's up with you?" nini pressed, her tone firm, inching closer. when ricky didn't respond, she released a sigh of frustration. "look at me," she said, reaching for his chin to tilt it, but he snatched her wrist away.