Tsuki-meguri no Hyakki Yome: Moonlit Night's Hundredth Wife - Chapter One

Chapter One - Part One

Stepping onto the subway train, the deafening roar echoed through the tunnel, drowning out all other sounds. Metal screeched against metal, assaulting my ears with a high-pitched wince. Hastily, I adorned my pink retro headphones, seeking solace from the cacophony. The playlist I curated for my daily commute commenced, offering respite amid the chaos. Familiar melodies embraced me, a fleeting oasis amidst the turmoil. In the flickering brightness of the train, I caught sight of my reflection in the window, the train's rhythmic sway a reminder of the hidden world teeming beneath the veneer of reality.

Slipping into the back corner of the train car, I sought refuge from the crowded chaos. Sweat and staleness filled the air, suffocating. Each passenger exuded discomfort, enduring the journey's unpleasantness together. Relief washed over me as I found a small alcove, the cold, graffiti-covered metal offering solace against the oppressive atmosphere.

Erratic lighting flickered within the train, casting eerie shadows across weary faces. My reflection danced in the window, a stark silhouette amidst the dimness. Outside, the mundane world blurred past, while within, the supernatural realm pulsed with unseen dangers and hidden wonders. Amidst yōkai, monsters, and witches, I navigated with a wary gaze, senses attuned to the whispers of magic lingering in the air.

I pulled my sky-blue cat-eared hoodie over my head, relishing the soft fabric against my skin. It was my sanctuary, a shield from the chaos outside. The cat ears on the hood gave me a sense of mystery like I was a hero in disguise. In a world fraught with uncertainty, every little comfort mattered. Closing my eyes, I inhaled deeply, trying to drown out the cacophony of the subway. This was my routine, honed since childhood: stay hidden, stay safe. Those were my mother's words, born from her own trials. She aimed to shield me from the same fate.

The subway car hummed with life, a symphony of murmurs and shuffling feet. My reflection flickered in the window, a reminder of my dual existence. Bright lights overhead illuminated the carriage, yet they faltered intermittently, casting eerie shadows. This was our world, hidden beneath the mundane facade of human society. Here, yōkai, monsters, and witches roamed unseen, weaving their magic amidst the chaos. As the train hurtled forward, I braced myself for the night's encounters, knowing that danger lurked in the shadows, waiting to be unveiled.

From the moment I was born under a red moon, my fate was sealed. I was bound to be the wife of a tremendously powerful creature, one of the so-called three Laws of the Underworld. It seemed like I had no say in the matter, and this unfortunate birthright made me the hundredth wife of this monster. As such, it became the bane of my existence, a curse that lingered relentlessly. Most of my life was spent staying out of sight, as I was the weakest and lowest among the hundred wives. I felt like an outcast, an unwanted presence that was better off not being seen. But the weight of my status never left me, as it continued to plague me like a curse. The knowledge that one day, I would be called upon to fulfill my duty, to bear the child of this powerful being, haunted me incessantly.

Flipping through my phone without any particular interest, I kept an eye on my surroundings. I was always on guard, always wary of any danger that might come my way. Suddenly, a text notification from my Mom appeared on the screen, breaking my reverie.

"Hey Ember, just a friendly reminder to swing by the house before heading off to your night classes and grab your lunch. I lovingly prepared it for you and don't want you to go hungry. You know how much I care about your well-being. Have a great day, dear. Love you, bye!" Hotaru Pyraflame texted.

"Please Mom, enough with the sweetie nicknames. I'm too old for that!" I texted back.

My mother's response to my message was a simple yet goofy smiley face. I let out a sigh, knowing all too well the struggles she faced. Like me, she was born to be the wife of a powerful monster. Unfortunately, unlike me, she was human and had a unique power that brought about my existence. As a result of my heritage, I was forced to attend both day school and night school, which felt like a never-ending burden.