Twilight's Duel

[Russia's POV]

_______________________________

A wave of uncertainty ran through my veins as we both walked away. The once-standing building that we called our house now laid in ruins, reduced to a heap of ashes. It became uninhabitable for anyone who dared to even pass by.

At a distance of about three meters from the house, realization struck my brain like a lightning bolt. I immediately stopped walking, my eyes widening in confusion. Latvia's senses picked up my sudden halt in tracks and she turned around to face me, staring at me with a raised eyebrow.

"...where are the other five siblings?..."

Upon hearing the question, my sister's face got tense as she glanced back at the house of ruins for a brief moment before looking back at me with a darkened facial expression. At first, she hesitated to respond, but as soon as her mouth opened, she let out the most horrifying answer my ears have ever picked up.

"... About that..."

...

"...they're gone."

...

I gasped in utter terror as she finished speaking. My body froze and almost reached freezing temperatures that the human tolerance couldn't cope with as soon as she began to speak again.

...

"I couldn't save them in time. I came too late... They're gone forever."

...

My eyes began to well up with bitter streams of tears. I was in a state of disbelief. I couldn't move or speak at all. All sensation in my soul, except for grief, seemed to fade away. I couldn't even tell the difference between real life and this illusion. My vision became blurry by the second, as tears began to cascade down my cheeks, making my sight hazy. I began to pant uncontrollably while losing my focus. All of the grief in my heart made me feel unwell. Why did I have to witness all of these events, even though they weren't real?

Was there even a chance that all of them WERE real?...

...

With a blink of the human eye, my body went limp and I lost consciousness, the black cloth covering my vision yet again for who knew how long. I couldn't escape from the burden of sorrow building up in my soul. It was unfair. My existence as a whole was unfair. Who knows, maybe it was all a lie. A charade.

...

My eyelids began to slowly flutter open as my consciousness quickly restored itself. The only thing I could see was the void of darkness staring at me mercilessly. I was in the same place as before. One could describe it as a hellhole, or worse, hell itself.

My body refused to move an inch. I felt like I was paralyzed, as if the claws of a demon were strangling me, all while lying on the frigid porcelain tiles. Each breath began to accelerate at an unsteady rate. Such a miserable place engulfed the remaining fragments of faith and injecting grief upon my state of mind.

After a minute that felt like eternity, I could finally raise my head. I brought my head a bit closer to my chest in a desperate attempt to look around, trying to figure out what was going on.

My eyes widened to their fullest extent when I saw two golden eyes, gleaming from a corner of the pitch black hallway. I wanted to get up and try to escape, freeing myself from the cage of dread, doing myself a favour and saving my sanity. But that wasn't possible. Frailness began to kick in at the wrong time, immobilising me yet again. I kept staring at the two eyes as my face got tense.