Confronting Billy

Steve pulled up outside the school. “Hey, I’m going to run in and use the restroom. Then I need to talk to the basketball coach, just lock the car before you come in,” Steve said, handing me the car keys. “Hey, I don’t need a ride tonight. My parents are picking me up,” I said to Steve, who nodded and then headed towards the school.  After about 20 minutes, I saw Billy’s car pull in. Mustering every bit of courage I had, I climbed out of the car and walked over to him.

      “Remember don’t be late getting out here after school, or you’re skating home again,” he yelled to a red-headed girl who in turn flipped him off and headed towards the middle school. “Billy,” I said, walking towards him. He looked up at me and frowned before flicking his cigarette and turning towards the school. “Billy please, I need to talk to you,” I said, stepping into his path. “I really don’t think Harrington is going to like you talking to me,” Billy said. “Why the fuck would Steve care who I talk to,” I asked? “Isn’t he your boyfriend,” Billy asked? “What are you talking about,” I asked? “I saw you get out of his car yesterday,” Billy said in an accusatory tone. “Billy, he’s, my neighbor. He was giving me a ride to school because my dad needed to get to work,” I said. Billy looked at me for a few seconds, “So, you’re not dating Harrington?” “No, I’m not, I literally just moved here how could I possibly be dating someone already,” I asked. “Well, when you meet the right person, sometimes you just know,” he said backing me up against his car. I stared up at him through my eyelashes as he brushed my hair out of my face. I could feel my heartbeat in my ears. He leaned forward just as the bell rang. “Shit,” he said grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the school.

         I again spent my study hall watching the boy's practice. I hadn’t noticed it the day before as I had been so distracted, but there was clearly a rivalry between Billy and Steve. No wonder Billy had gotten so upset when he thought Steve, and I were dating. “Hey, you’re Violet right?” I turned to see a brown-haired girl with blue eyes. “Yeah,” I said smiling at her. “I’m Carol, that’s my boyfriend Tommy,” she said gesturing to a boy on the court, he had brown hair and hazel eyes. “It’s nice to meet you,” I said. “I see you eyeing Billy,” Carol said. “Yeah, he’s definitely something,” I said. “You should definitely go for it, he would not shut up about you in homeroom this morning,” Carol replied.

    After practice Billy climbed up the bleachers and sat next to me. “Let me take you out,” he said. “Like, on a date,” I asked? “Yeah, like a date,” Billy said chuckling. “But I’ve heard from pretty much every girl that you don’t date,” I said. “I don’t, but there’s something about you,” he said. I looked away blushing. I felt his hand gently grab my chin he began pulling until our eyes met. “Please, let me take you on a date,” Billy said. I nodded my head, “When?” “Sunday night,” Billy said before getting up and heading toward the locker room. “Hey, wait for me in the parking lot, so I can get your phone number,” he said and disappeared into the locker room.

“Hey sweetheart, you ready to go,” my mom asked as she pulled up outside the school. “Almost, I have to get something from someone really quick,” I said. “Alright, well I’m going to go park so I don’t back up traffic,” mom said before she drove off. I walked over to Billy’s car to wait for him. As I waited, I pulled out a piece of paper and wrote down my phone number. I leaned against Billy’s car and stretched my arms above my head. Looking over I noticed Billy staring at me. I smiled and waved at him, but his gaze didn’t waver. Looking down I noticed the large bruise that Johnny had left on my ribcage was exposed. I self-consciously jerked my shirt down. “Hey,” Billy said walking up to me.  “Hey, here’s my number, I’ve got to go, my mom’s waiting,” I said bolting before he could ask questions.

I considered calling Billy and canceling the date, but I really wanted to go. After lying in bed half the night, I decided to just act like I didn’t know what he was talking about if he brought it up. Hopefully he wouldn’t.