The mission

Ace (as defined by MLB.com)

"Ace" typically refers to a team's number one pitcher, though it can also be used to describe an elite pitcher in general. Therefore, a team with multiple elite pitchers is said to have more than one ace.

The weather was irrationally unseasonable. Usually 90 degrees and humid on Labor Day, this year it was pleasantly dry, and almost cool. So much so that she kept her suit jacket on, albeit with the sleeves pushed up.

"Oh hey, stranger," her favorite groundskeeper with copper-colored hair and a southern drawl greeted her from behind.

She twisted in her seat on the front row of the Baysox pressbox and grinned, even before she met his eyes. "Max. I was hoping I'd run into you."

"After all these years, routine's still the same," he admitted with a shrug, taking the folding chair next to her as the bottom of the third inning started.

She smiled out at the field. He was always her favorite part of coming down from Baltimore to the club's Double-A affiliate. "How's it going? The field looks great."

"Thanks, Ace," Max nodded. "Same old, same old. Just ready for this season to be over."

She scoffed. "Yeah, it hasn't been pretty down here, has it?" The Baysox found themselves 17 games out of first place in their division.

"Nah, not like up the road," he winked. The Orioles were headed to the postseason. Only September 4th, and they were two games away from clinching a playoff berth. "What are you doing down here, anyway? I figured you'd gotten too important for us."

"Special assignment." She leaned back in her chair and took a deep breath, watching the Erie Seawolves catcher successfully block a pitiful would-be wild ball from his starting pitcher.

Max seemed to follow her eyes. "I bet."

* * *