Tenants of Magic

The primary tenant of magic is rooted in the principle of exchange. The acquisition of power is inexorably tied to a corresponding loss, a fundamental rule that governs the mystical realm. For practitioners known as Wixen, the exchange manifests as a depletion of stamina when casting spells. However, the dynamics of this exchange can be altered through the application of ritual magic, a sophisticated practice capable of drawing upon items offered willingly or seized forcibly.

It is crucial to note that forcibly taken items introduce a darker aspect to the exchange, often accompanied by additional negative repercussions—a topic to be explored in subsequent chapters. Presently, our focus lies on the recognition that every spell-casting involves a reciprocal sacrifice. In addition to exchange, magic hinges on two pivotal components: intent and will. Intent, in this context, denotes the desired outcome of the magic and the visualization of its manifestation. Will, on the other hand, measures the intensity of the desire for the magic to achieve its purpose.

Contemporary magical education commonly emphasizes the use of words and intent, as verbalizing spells aids in visualizing the desired result. However, this approach, deemed lazy by some, contributes to the difficulty many Wixen encounter in mastering wordless casting. A return to the foundations of intent and will-based casting could facilitate the attainment of wandless magic, a concept explored further in subsequent discussions.

Reflecting on one's youthful experiences, instances of "accidental magic" often occurred when deeply intent on a specific outcome. Regrettably, this textbook cannot discreetly guide readers toward the path of becoming a wandless mage. Interested individuals may explore additional literature such as "Wordless and Wandless: The Way of True Wizardry" or "Rituals and Their Consequences: A Comprehensive Analysis of Cursing Techniques."

Having covered the first magical principle—Exchange—in this initial chapter, the subsequent section will delve into strategies to circumvent the inherent weaknesses associated with this fundamental aspect of magic.