Chapter 4

U'Kaida spent the afternoon thoroughly cleaning and grooming himself. He washed away all traces of Na'zeiru from his body and scent. The young hunter even spent time scrubbing at the base of his locs, picking away the dead skin that was an annoying itch. When he was well groomed and sporting freshly oiled locs, he donned his nicest loincloth. It wasn't anything fancy, but it was the least ragged.

His heart raced in his chest nervously as he made his way to the Observatory. It was on the ship's opposite side, but the distance gave him time to find the words to say.

This meeting with Kelsey was a welcome surprise. His idea had worked fantastically in gaining her attention. For a while, U'Kaida had worried that she would move on, but after the execution, when he had gazed directly into her eyes, he saw what he was looking for. Being so close to her had filled him with happiness despite their previous encounter in the bath house.

What would she say?

The yautja walked faster as he approached the entrance to the Observatory. He was glad most of the ship was asleep for the night cycle. He didn't have to shove anyone out of his way.

Nothing would keep him from this meeting.

Upon entering the Observatory, he stopped to admire Kelsey patiently waiting for him on a bench. It was the one he often chose to watch the passing nebulae. He was quiet in his approach so he could drink in her appearance. Something twisted in his stomach, seeing her bare so much skin. The scars left from Na'Zeiru's attack shone under the dim lighting, the angry slashes decorating the entire lengths of her arms and legs.

The human wore a simple blue dress that hugged her figure in all the right places. Her hair sported a few braids that came together to form a ponytail atop her shiny, cascading dark hair. He had to hold back a purr of approval at her appearance.

Taking a deep breath, he greeted her softly. "Kelsey, you wished to speak with me?"

She turned to face him as he stood at the end of the bench. A small smile graced her attractive face. The light seemed to shine in her eyes. He liked seeing happiness at the sight of him.

"U'Kaida, hey! I did, yeah." Kelsey replied, "Come and sit." She patted the padded bench next to her with a welcoming smile. The young hunter joined her on the bench, where she angled herself to look directly at him.

"What was it that you wished to discuss?" He asked, still wondering what the purpose was.

Hopefully, it was something good...yes?

Her eyes darkened a little, turning to glance at the stars before she answered him. She tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, a nervous tick he had observed repeatedly. Something about her body language told him she was going to surprise him.

Kelsey took a deep breath and began, "I wanted to apologize for being so rude and bitchy to you the other day in the bath house. I should've let you speak instead of letting my emotions get the better of me. While you were away, I...went through a lot, and I took it out on you. That was stupid of me."

U'Kaida sat in stunned silence. His heart warmed the chill that tried to creep in while he absorbed her words. Kelsey waited patiently for him to answer, her eyes falling to the hem of her dress, where she picked at a fraying edge. When she looked at him from under her lashes, he swore his heart skipped a beat.

She showed her vulnerability, baring her neck before him. It was...unexpected.

He had done something that she shouldn't forgive him for. But to have this happen now? There was a renewed hope that he could fix things and right this while he still could.