1

Her eyes burned as sunlight crashed through her window and invaded her room. She took a deep breath. Another day. Every minute felt like hours, every hour felt like years.

Tearing herself away from the soft, warm surface she dreamed in every night, she shook herself back to reality. Her eyes moved their gaze over her room. The window, which was now flooding her room with blinding sunlight instead of a cool night breeze, her wardrobe on the wall right across from the bed she was sitting on, and her desk right below the window to her left. On her desk was her journal, her yarn, knitting projects and a small wooden sculpture of a blue bird. It was the one he gave her, the thing that forced her to repress the anger bottled up inside.

She couldn't do anything to change the fact that he was gone. She had no power and she had never known power, being the headmaster's daughter. She never had control over her own life, it was all planned out for her from the beginning. The only thing in her life that was unpredictable, her only escape from the dreary and meaningless cycle she found herself in was gone. He had saved the world from a gruesome fate, almost losing his life in the process, and was punished for doing so. How miserable she was.

Shaking her angry thoughts away, she got ready using the same routine she had used for the past 18 years, soon to be 19. Get dressed, wash face, do hair, brush teeth, she had grown to love this routine—until now. What had been a tool for hyping herself up for the day had mutated into a checklist, a robotic system that preformed the bare minimum in preparing her.

Mindlessly strolling down the streets and to the plaza, she gazed at all of the people walking, playing, talking—how could she adjust to normal life after everything that happened? That battle was always thrashing about in the vault of her mind, wanting to be freed through her mouth. She wanted to get it all off of her chest, what she saw, what she did and most of all, what he did. He was the only other person who could understand why she was constantly exhausted. Everyone else couldn't know, she couldn't tell them. It would frighten them, arise too many worries in their heads and they wouldn't understand. This is everything her father told her after the goddess statue fell to the surface. It was a bad omen, he said. They had to stay above the clouds because the townspeople can't handle change.

Skyloft was comfortable and secure, nothing could reach them. The surface was unknown, dangerous, too much to adjust to. Sure, they had knights who could defend, but they couldn't defend against whatever was below the clouds.

Everyone was scared stiff after seeing Link as a bloodied, mangled mess of a person, torn apart by the enemy's blade. Naturally, after he recovered, the headmaster decided to repay his sacrifices with exile into the lands where he was hurt the most. Banished to the desert of the unknown, forced to fend off whatever monsters lie in it. She didn't know where he was, or even if he was alive or dead. Zelda's imagination took her to the deepest and darkest trenches of possibility and left her with no rational thought or fact to fish her out.

It had been like this for a little over two months. It had gotten to the point where Zelda couldn't take it anymore. Couldn't get up in the morning, couldn't perform her routines, couldn't greet her friends, couldn't even look at her father. Nothing could stop her from running away. Slipping away in the middle of the night was the only step to her escape plan. She didn't know where to look for him on the surface but she didn't care. Just being off the horrid island was enough to convince her to leave as soon as possible.

She slept in her uniform and didn't get out of bed until noon. When she finally rose, she started packing. She didn't go through her morning routine, she just thought of whatever she could possibly need. Her bow and arrows, her dagger, her pink knight uniform, a week's worth of food...

A knock interrupted her planning. "Zelda?" the voice of her father seeped through the door. She started to panic. He couldn't know that she was leaving, he would chain her down. Lock her in her room until she swore never to leave. She stuffed her bulging bag under her bed and approached the door.

"Yeah dad?" she said, hoping he wouldn't want to come in.

"Zelda, we need to talk."

———

thanks 4 reading :)
i'll post every monday
i didn't rly plan this story out im just kinda writing whatever tbh
enjoy my sewage 🏄