Sleep

I know a lot of people think Ghost and Jimmy are alters and they have DID but I think that Jimmy is his own entity entirely who just feeds off of Ghost and how unstable he is. That's just the context I feel people need to understand why he's gone in this, even though it is not that important. This will also be pretty short.

     Ghost sat at Toast's office desk, the blue light gently illuminated his face as he stared at the computer screen before him, flickering from image to image of his next potential case. He hadn't slept a blink the past 3 days and was absolutely exhausted, but there was something in him keeping him up. Although Jimmy was long gone, and had been for years at this point, old habits die hard, and staying up and overworking himself to keep that sense of control happened to be Ghost's vice. 

     He rested his elbow on the desk, leaning his head into his hand. His eyes made their way to the bottom right corner of the screen.

     4:37 AM

     He sighed, sitting back up properly, and getting back to work. It was only a matter of moments, however, when he heard the quiet creak of the office door. He peaked over his shoulder a little to see the figure of his boyfriend standing at the entrance to the room. He only gave him a second of acknowledgment before turning back to look at the screen again.

     "Love?" He heard the other man speak. He didn't respond until there was a quiet shuffle as Toast came to stand behind him.

     "I found something that might be worth checking out," Ghost said. He felt hands gently rest on his shoulders, but he continued to talk anyway, "No one's lived here in years but police keep getting calls from a frantic woman claiming someone is trying to break into her house and this is the address she gives. But whenever responders show up there's no signs of anyone having been there at all. No burglar, and no woman."

    "Sir-"

     "And get this. When they track the calls, they come back as coming from the house. They've found the landline, but no one is paying for it so they don't know how it's being used."

     Toast sighed a little, leaning forward to get a better look at the screen. "Right, and that's a fantastic lead. But really, love, you need to go lay down." He massaged Ghost's shoulders gently, the brunette leaning his head back to rest on Toast's torso.

     "I can't, Johnny. I still haven't found the history of the building or anything yet. We need to know what to expect."

     Toast didn't respond, moving his hands to rub Ghost's biceps. His body relaxed under Toast's touch, which made it harder to resist the overwhelming emotions Ghost was originally trying to combat. He closed his eyes, trying to ignore it.

     "You've made a lot of progress on it, you need to take a break. You're going to make yourself sick again." Toast spoke quietly and calmly. He slowly moved to Ghost's side, taking his hand and guiding him to a standing position. Ghost didn't protest, wrapping his arms around Toast, resting his forehead on the taller man's bare chest, and keeping his eyes closed. Toast hugged him back, burying his face in his hair a little, using one of his hands to run his fingers around the back of Ghost's head. 

     The two stayed like that for a while, Ghost squeezing his eyes shut harder to fight back the tears forming. The fight was in vain though, because as soon as a few broke through Ghost felt himself crumble. He held onto the other tighter, as he began to sob quietly.

    He could feel the guilt and fear he's been trying so desperately to suppress. He could see the bodies, the blood, everything. Everything he has been through and witnessed felt more real when he wasn't occupying himself with work. He hated it. He hated giving his mind the chance to think and process.

     But right now, he felt safe. Toast rubbed his back and left little kisses on the top of his head as he cried. 

     Eventually, Ghost did manage to calm down, turning his head to the side to wipe off the tears that clung to his face.

     "Let's go lay down for a moment, alright?" Toast said, still keeping hold of him. Ghost nodded a little, now feeling too exhausted to respond.

     Toast lifted Ghost into his arms, reaching and turning the computer monitor off, and walking him back to the room they shared. He sat on the bed with his back against the headboard. Ghost adjusted so his back was against Toast. He felt the other's arms wrap around his body. Toast laid his head by Ghost's neck, laying gentle kisses along his neck and shoulder. Ghost laid his head against Toast's head, as well as holding the side of his face with his hand. He allowed his eyes to wander the room for a moment, before closing them and letting the oh-so-persistent exhaustion take him over.