Chapter 14

"It's that one," Sawyer said, pointing a little ways down the street. "Number seventy-two." 

It was a pretty building with a wrap around porch and a charming little turret off to the side. The building was painted a cheerful yellow with plenty of white trim. It looked older, as did most houses in the neighborhood, but well cared for.

"Who lives there?" I asked, trying to quell the panic that blossomed at the realization that I was so close.

"Your mom's family," he said. "Though your dad's parents might be with them. Their place is a little further out, so Tony told me to head here when you were ready."

I nodded and stared at the house. My family was right there. My real family. The people who had loved me and who'd been excited about me before I was born, and who'd mourned for me when they thought I was dead. It shouldn't be so scary to think of taking that last step to meet them, but it was. I didn't know anything about them. Other than grandparents, I had no idea who even was in my family besides Tony. Would they expect me to be a certain way? Would they be upset that I didn't use the name they knew? What would we talk about?

"Are you alright?" Sawyer asked, making me realize that I'd stopped walking. I forced myself to nod though I wasn't sure.

"I know this is a lot," he said, apparently not believing me. "Your whole world changed yesterday, but they're nice people. And they're really excited to meet you. You don't have to worry."

"I know that in my head." I looked at him. "It's just so strange. On top of everything else. I don't really know them, but I'm here like I belong, and I don't really know how to-"

"You do belong," he argued. "Remember that feeling in the diner yesterday?"

I nodded. It still seemed odd that I should be so comfortable in a place surrounded by total strangers. Especially with them all staring at me and not actually saying anything.

"That's because they're your pack - your people. You'll feel even more at home here because these people are actually your family. They're your blood relatives. You'll feel connected to them in a way you probably never have before."

I tried to smile, but it was hard. I wanted that connection. I really did, but actually making myself initiate it wasn't easy. Maybe if I had a little more time to work up to it...maybe tomorrow.

"They probably already know you're here," he said, apparently guessing my plan.

"What?" I asked, alarmed. We were a few houses away still.

"Wolf senses, remember? It's not that hard for families to sense each other nearby, and they're waiting for you."

That made it easier and harder at the same time. On the one hand, I couldn't leave now. I had to do it, whether I felt like it or not. It was easier not actually having to make the decision. On the other hand, knowing they were probably standing there just waiting for me to walk up to the door made it almost impossible to move. I'd never been on a stage before, but I could easily imagine what stage fright felt like now.

"And I'll be right there with you," Sawyer said, offering a hand. He seemed a little unsure whether it might be too much for us just yet, but mostly, he seemed very comforting and I felt myself relax a tiny bit.

Managing an authentic smile, I took his hand and we started walking toward the house again. It felt like some little animal was doing back flips in my stomach, but I honestly wasn't sure what percentage of that was because of what I was about to do and what percentage was because I was holding Sawyer's hand.

We made our way to the front door and I stared at the doorbell, trying to work up the nerve to press it.

After a minute, Sawyer said, "don't worry. I'm not throwing you to the wolves."