Chapter 58 - Unlock

"Uaaaah!"

Shidou tightly grasped Haniel with both hands, having transformed the broom into Michael as he speeded through the Territory.

Numerous Bandersnatches had already emerged around Mukuro, and the two sides became engaged in tangled warfare and skirmishes. Mukuro waved Michael while repelling the approaching humanoid machines by using flaring rays of light and showers of meteorites.

A golden opportunity; moreover, what was even more satirical was the fact that most of DEM's robots were completely ignoring Shidou's existence in the fray. Of course, the Bandersnatch units were not allies of Shidou and the others, nor did they agree to a temporary ceasefire. The few units to which Shidou came too close for comfort, however, did respond by launching offensives.

However.

"Hah!"

Before the Bandersnatches' attacks could hit their target, Tohka had leaped in front of Shidou and was already hacking away at the mechanical droids with her broadsword Sandalphon.

"Go, Shidou!"

"Un!"

As Shidou charged at the opening Tohka had created, he seized the chance to quickly forge ahead to Mukuro's side with the intention of inserting the tip of the key into her body.

"Michael...!"

Yet, just as she touched the frame of Michael.

"Unlock---Rātaibu."

Mukuro's tranquil voice pulsated, and a miniature gate opened before the Michael that Shidou had previously extended, forcefully sucking its tip inside.

"Wha... huh!?"

"Did you truly believe that the growing enemies would cause Muku to overlook observing the unsavory you?"

With an incisive look, Mukuro stared at Shidou, heaving Michael upwards at the same time. Conforming to this action of hers, coalescing particles of light emanated from Michael's end.

"Shidou! Run for it!"

"Kuh......!"

Shidou tensely held his breath and decided to escape from there.

But---it was too late. Mukuro's Michael had already emitted several beams of burning light before Shidou could even lengthen the distance between them.

"Shidou!"

"Hm?"

However, Mukuro uttered a baffled groan. A huge volitant object gliding from the right had obstructed Mukuro's assault.

Needless to say, even with the coverage of Fraxinus' Territory, guarding against a Spirit's attack with mere fragments of metal was a downright impossibility. It appeared that plates of armor from the nearby spaceship battle had drifted over to their location. But this had only defended against the laser beam direct attacks. The metallic scraps which had withstood Mukuro's attacks abruptly sent Shidou crashing backwards due to the sheer might and pressure.

"Guah... ugh!"

"A-Are you okay, Shidou!?"

Unsure of how far he had been pushed away from Mukuro, the plate of armor finally stopped with a wobble. It looked like Tohka had caught up to Shidou and brought the piece of metal to a painstaking halt.

"A-Ah... Thanks for that, Tohka. By the way-" Shidou gently placed his hand on the metallic plate which had conveniently protected him.

"It's such a coincidence for this piece of metal to float right between Mukuro and--" Speaking until that point, Shidou suddenly stopped his words.