Chapter 3: Childhood

Childhood.

"Toby do you know that I owe your mother my life ... But now that she's gone... I promise to be there for you. Helping you like your mom would have wanted me to". Said Stripe, shaking a tear from his eye. "And why do you owe her your life?". Asked a concerned Toby. "Well, it happened when we were only twelve years old...". Stripe began to tell the story...

Stripe and Tori were friends all through their childhood. They were always out for walks with the same group of 4 dogs. Although they never took other people's dogs with them, their company was always full of fun and adventure. The company consisted of Stripe, Tori, Mark and Nami. Nami is the most humble and quiet one in the group of guys. Almost always willing to help no matter what. But she's also afraid of everything. Any rustle, noise, bugs and unexpected touches. Mark is the wittiest in the company, able to quickly develop information and make logical conclusions. But when it comes to switching and having fun, all his wit and working out logical conclusions disappear just to nowhere. Tori is the kindest in the company, loves animals and every walk was not without the help of an animal. Also, always ready for any entertainment that the guys will offer her. But this kindness can be too intrusive. Stripe is the soul and leader of the company, always offering different ideas of what to do and finding ways to diversify the adventures. But can get testy when things don't go according to his plan. They were all 12 years old just like Toby is now.

It was the last day of summer. The whole company gathered at their base. They had built a tent with their own hands. It was their base which was what they called it when it came to the important meeting that took place every day. There they offered entertainment that they could do during the day. This day was no exception for the important meeting. When Tori got there she saw all her friends waiting just for her. "Tori well you're late as always!". Said Stripe, going through his cards in his paws. "Sorry I just saw a stray cat on my way here and decided to feed it". After explaining her tardiness, Tori quickly settled into her seat. "Well that's Tori. She's always like that". Said Mark, his eyes fixed on Nami. "If everyone is in, we can start our assembly!". Said Stripe, rising from his seat, raising one hand in the air. Everyone shouted in: "YES!". Once seated, Stripe began to speak first. "Today is the last day of summer and we'd like to spend it having as much fun as possible. Who knows what awaits us at school...". Pausing briefly, he thought for a moment. "Could we go to the creek?". Asked Nami. "I don't think so. We're there almost every day." Replied Stripe continuing to think. "Oh! How about we go to the abandoned house that is next to the forest?". Asked Stripe to the whole company. All three of them glanced over and looked at Stripe. "Are you sure that's a good idea?". Asked Mark to Stripe. "Y-yeah we don't even know who or what's in there". Said Nami. Tori only looked at the tree, not the underbrush from the tent. "Don't worry, it's fine there. My brothers have been there before and said there's nothing dangerous in it". Replied Stripe. "Tori. What do you say?". Asked Mark. "What?". Jumped up Tori shifting her gaze from the tree to the guys. "So what do you say Tori?". Re-asked Mark, raising one eyebrow. "Uh... Yeah-yeah I'm in!". Quickly replying she started watching the tree again. Mark only sighed and looked at Stripe. "Okay... I don't mind." Agreed Mark, who was skeptical of the idea. "What about you Nami?". Asked Mark, turning to her. "Uh... I guess I am too...". Replied Nami with a startled look. Stripe stood up and uttered: "Then what are we waiting for? Head over there!". Everyone is ready to go on an adventure in an abandoned house to spend the last day of summer in a fun and memorable way.

As they walked through the forest, Nami flinched repeatedly at any rustle. This made Stripe uneasy, but he showed no signs of annoyance. As they reached they saw a two-story house that was already starting to crumble a bit. As they approached the abandoned house, Stripe picked up a rock and threw it at the window. "And why did you do that?". Asked Tori, looking at the window he hit with the rock. "I'm checking to see if anyone is out there". Replied Stripe, shaking off his paws. Hearing nothing, he walked up the steps and opened the door. Once inside they saw a large living room with peeling wallpaper and ruined furniture. As they walked past the living room Mark saw a rusty key on the floor. Without giving it much thought he went to catch up with his friends. Walking through the kitchen the floor creaked. "Ah! W-what was that?!". Asked a startled Nami. "Sorry that was me". Replied Tori, pointing her finger at the floor. "Oh okay". A calmed Nami continued to listen to every sound. "Guys, I'm going to go to the basement. Who's with me?". Asked Stripe to his friends, pointing to the door leading to the basement. "I'm gonna to go to the second floor". Said Mark, walking towards the stairs to the second floor. "Nami why don't I and Stripe go to the basement and you and Mark go to the second floor?". Asked Tori, smiling at Nami. "Yeah let's". Replied Nami nervously heading towards Mark.