CHAPTER 25

"She may have a heart of gold, but her rage burns with the intensity of a thousand suns."

-----

I sat in the passenger seat, my gaze fixed on Mare's journal lying in my lap, its presence ominous and foreboding. I traced my fingers over its cover, feeling a shiver run down my spine as I contemplated what secrets it held within its pages.

Alastor glanced over at me, his grip tightening on the wheel as he spoke, "You should start reading. We're only 25 minutes from Billy's flower shop."

I tore my eyes away from the journal to meet his gaze, his steady demeanor offering me a sense of reassurance amidst the turmoil of my thoughts. With a nod, I turned my attention back to the journal, steeling myself for the revelations it contained.

Flipping through the pages, I caught sight of dried spots of blood, my heart sinking at the sight.

Tracing my finger along the stains, a wave of fear washed over me, my mind racing with the possibilities of what horrors may have transpired to leave such marks.

With a heavy sigh, I began to read, each word carrying weight and significance. Mare's words held a power that sent a chill down my spine, her writings painting a dark and unsettling picture of reality.

As I delved deeper into the journal, the darkness of Mare's truths threatened to engulf me. Fear gripped my heart, but I knew that confronting these truths was the only way forward.

And so, with trepidation coursing through my veins, I continued to read, determined to uncover the secrets that lay within Mare's journal, no matter the cost.

.....

OCTOBER 2017

It's a chilling realization, isn't it? To confront mortality at such a tender age, to feel the weight of fear pressing down upon you with each passing moment. At fifteen, I find myself constantly on edge, haunted by the specter of death that lurks in the shadows of our home.

Our house, shrouded in darkness and devoid of color, serves as a stark reminder of the secrets that fester within its walls. It's no wonder I seek solace in the sanctuary of my bedroom, where splashes of vibrant hues serve as a feeble shield against the encroaching darkness.

It's only been a few short months since I was forced to etch my sister's name into her flesh-a cruel reminder of the bonds that tether us to our family's legacy of pain and suffering. And in that time, my resentment towards Billy has only grown, festering like a poison within my heart.

As I stare down at the blood staining my hands, I can't help but wonder how I arrived at this moment. How did I become the architect of my downfall, the bearer of sins too heavy to bear?

There are no easy answers, no absolution to be found in the crimson tide that flows from my veins. There is only the cold embrace of guilt, a constant companion in the darkness that threatens to consume me.

And yet, amidst the chaos and despair, there is a glimmer of hope-a flicker of resilience that refuses to be extinguished. For even in the depths of despair, there remains a sliver of humanity-a spark of defiance that refuses to be snuffed out.

I may be haunted by the sins of my past, but I refuse to be defined by them. I will rise from the ashes of my destruction, forging a path towards redemption with each step I take.

For in the end, it is not the darkness that defines us, but the light that we carry within our hearts-a beacon of hope in a world consumed by shadows.