Chapter 5 | Broken

The Fault In Us

5
----∆----

ZOEY

As I woke up the next morning tangled in bedsheets next to Eric, I saw him staring at me. That is when he held out his little finger out to me as I intertwined it with mine murmuring 'forever'.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

As I and Eric stepped out of the cafe after our usual study sessions, I saw my aunt that is my mother's younger sister, Brenda Mill standing outside, leaning on her turquoise-colored Porsche. She was more of a friend to me. She was one of those aunts who are too young to be one. She began walking towards me and grabbed me in a bear hug. Then she shook hands with Eric and enquired, "Who's this young man?" Before Eric could introduce himself, I butted in and muttered, "A friend of mine. Enough with the introductions. How come you are in Seattle?"

She then eyed Eric up and down and nodded her head in agreement as she opened the door to her car and signalled us to get in. As she sat behind the steering wheel, her expression turned to steel, "Do you remember that your father was trying to marry you off to the heir of Churchill Enterprises, ummm what was his name? Oh, yeah, Mike Churchill. Your father is going to call you to London at the end of this semester."

I looked at her confusedly, "Why are you telling me this?" She gave me a look of disbelief and said, "He's going you to force you to marry him by faking that he's ill since you know how obsessed that guy was with you."

As I stared at her speechlessly, Eric butted in, "That is true, my brother has pictures of you in his room." That is when Brenda shouted, "What the fuck? He's your brother? Damn it." That is when Eric chuckled and did a fist bump with her saying, "I hate him as much as you do."

As they were laughing, their eyes fell on me. I felt a lone tear falling from my eye as I took upon the weight of what I had been told. That is when Brenda nudged me, "Why are you crying baby, your mother and I'll fight for you. Plus I already warned you."

That is when I looked her in the eye as I said, "Brenda you know how father is. If he has thought about something, he will go around the Earth to make it happen. It's time I accept his condition to keep him happy. I'm just sad because I love someone else."

Brenda looked at me wide-eyed, "You love someone? I thought 'like' was the word and you just goofed around." As I looked over I observed Eric's fallen face. Did he know that he was the one I loved the most in the world? The way he protected me without any motive, made me feel happy and cared for.

I replied, "No Brenda, I've fallen for someone. I think that I should quit University. It's time I go back to London and fulfill father's demands. Girls from households with old money anyways don't have a choice in marriages, do they? Look at yourself, you didn't marry the person you loved, you married a businessman."

She smiled at me apologetically, "Honey, just take your time. Don't rush into anything. Everything will be alright." That is when my phone beeped.

Eric looked over to me and asked, "Who's calling?" I panicked as I hurried to pick it up, "Hello Father, hope you are well." As Eric and Brenda kept signalling me to put the call on speaker, I knew I'd shatter if I did.

As I cut the call, I said before they could bombard me with questions, "It was father, he knows you are here and he wants me to come to London."

I saw Brenda's eyes glisten with tears, "I'm sorry honey, I couldn't protect you." That is when Eric thundered, "You should fight for yourself."

I snorted as I said, "Easier said than done."
He looked at me in shock as he asked me with a wavering voice, "Are we over? Just like that? You said forever."

As I wiped a tear away, I said, "There's a fault in us that no one can fix. You only tell me, do you think your family will accept our relationship? Do you think your brother will let us live in peace? I love you so much but I think it's better if we stop seeing each other. Goodbye." I ran out of the cafe and never looked back. I love him, too much. I heard Brenda shout after me but it was better that I did the right thing for him.

*****

INSTAGRAM: the.bookland.oflove

vote•comment•follow

xoxoPenny:)