12. Fateful Encounter

Isaac's pov

It's been a few days since Kayla's disappearance and there's still not even the slightest clue to where she is.
We all searched nonstop. Everyone was restless and worried about her.

Is she alright?

Is she save?

Is she still...alive?

Comte spend quite a sum to mobilise the police and every other help he could find, but even with everyones help... it's as if she and everything about her was wiped off of this world.

She...disappeared from one moment to the next.

...

'I'm exhausted and my head feels kind of heavy. I haven't slept so much the last few days, but honestly who did...'

A sigh escaped my mouth while I walked through town. I couldn't stay in the gloomy atmosphere that circulates though the mansion any longer.

Looking around there were many people in town today. Men and woman walking around alone, couples everywhere and families.
They were either taking a leisurely stroll, buying groceries or clothing or playing together.
It seems as if the whole world is alright.

I wished it would be the same for us too, but first we need to find Kayla.

At that moment a little group of kids ran past me. One of the boys almost tripped, but I caught him in time and helped him stand up. He quickly thanked me while one of the other boys called out to him.

"Come on hurry up! We will miss the announcement!" He shouted and ran after his friend. The boy also followed his group quickly.

An announcement is a rare thing in this town. If it ever happens it's either a festival approaching or...

I quickened my step and followed the boys. In the end we stopped by a clearing that many people surrounding already.

The murmur got louder the more I walked.

"Did you hear? They finally caught them!"

"Now we can sleep safely."

"Without worry the children can play again."

The conversation were similar to one another, but I still couldn't grasp the topic they were talking about.

"I heard they were attacked and died, but that serves them right after all they have done to innocent children!"

Died? Who died? What happened? Why is a crowd talking so leisurely about someone's death?

I made my way to the post and bought a newspaper to get more information. All of my questions were answered as I read the first line of the main topic.

"Recent children kidnappers found dead on the scene..." I mumbled the title in front of me.

Even though it was not the news I wished to hear. It is still for the wellbeing of all the citizens and foremost the children, that the kidnappers were caught, even though they are dead now.

I gave the newspaper to some kids that were eyeing it with piercing gazes and left the scene.

'Back to the start...'

...

While I walked around I thought about something that would distract me. In the end I decided to buy something to eat. Even though it can not clench my thirst, I just want something to chew on and think about.

Right as I made my way to a food stall I heard a commotion.

"Don't let that thief escape!" One of the stall owners shouted. I walked over to him and helped him pick up a few things that fell down.
My attention got caught by the several different fruits. They all missed one bite sized chunk of their flesh.