2| Nemesis

┏━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┓

Nemesis

┗━━━✦❘༻༺❘✦━━━┛

Chapter 2: Nemesis (Kai's POV)

"What's wrong, Kai?" Nathan asked, a taunt hidden somewhere beneath his tone as he dodged another blow from me and shuffled back within the ring. "Talk to me, sweetheart, what's bothering you? Is it your mother again?" he snickered. 

"Funny," I replied sarcastically before delivering a hard punch to his stomach, knocking the air out of him. 

He wheezed, clutching his side as he hunched over before sinking to his knees altogether. "Give me a fucking second," he muttered, struggling to regain his composure. 

Catching my breath as my chest continued to heave, I lifted my gloved hand to my mouth and ripped off the strap, tugging the boxing gloves off. 

"Clearly," he said, his voice still strained as he looked up at me from the ground, "something's bothering my sweetheart." 

I stared down at him blankly as he knelt before me. "Sorry," I replied, "were you still talking?" 

Scoffing lightly, he fell back and lay on the ground, resting a hand on his stomach. "Fine," he conceded, "you win today." 

Lifting a hand, I wiped the sweat dripping off my temple. "I always do, Nathan. You seem to forget that." 

He scoffed lightly, rising to his feet as I walked past him and out of the ring, hopping onto the floor. "Always so arrogant, aren't you, Warner?" he asked, following me into the men's locker room. 

"Mistaking my confidence for arrogance?" I clicked my tongue. "You wound me," I added dryly, tossing my gloves aside before grabbing a towel. I draped it over my shoulder, my upper half still bare as I stood there, only clad in a pair of black sweats. 

"What is it? Seriously?" Nathan persisted, closing his locker and leaning against it. "Is it your mother again?" 

"She'll be glad you're so concerned for her." 

"Is it your father?" 

"No, Nathan," I huffed out. 

He paused for a second, his calculating eyes scanning me from head to toe. 

I stood in place with impatience etched all over me until his eyes came back to mine. I promptly arched a brow. "Checking me out?" 

"As attractive as you are, man, no. Is it work?" he asked knowingly. 

I rolled my eyes and brushed past him, heading to the showers. 

"Is it Rose Chen?" he called out after me. 

Stopping with a sigh, I spun around to face him. "You're not going to follow me into the shower, seeking an answer, are you?" 

"So it is," he smirked in confidence. "It always is... I should have known." 

My eyes narrowed on him. He was so smug, talking in that posh British accent, a know-it-all. It annoyed me to no extent that he was always so persistent.