3. son

They had my nephew in an incubator. He was so tiny, so weak. I felt my eyes burning and I did my best not to burst into tears right there in front of Tara.

"I'll arrange for his surgery to be scheduled as soon as possible." She told me in order to bridge the silence between us. I knew she was trying her best not only because she was a doctor, but also because of her past with Jax, the club...

"Is Wendy better?"

"She'll be awake by tonight. She'll be in shock, of course..."

"Of course..." I couldn't get mad at her as much as I wanted to. But to blame her for what happened to my nephew, that I could.

"We'll get her into treatment. She'll get better."

"I know, I know. But let's be honest with each other, she won't be able to step into the mommy mode anytime soon." Which means Jax was on his own. Of course, Mom would never really leave him all alone. She'd help him as much as she could.

Tara rested her hand on my shoulder softly. "So it's good that the little guy has such a good aunt who is looking out for him."

I smiled as I looked at the little guy. "His name is Abel."

"That's a pretty name."

I left the hospital and tried to keep myself busy with other things. Of course tonight's family dinner was cancelled. No one was in the mood for laughter and merriment while we knew that a baby, the vice president's son, was battling for dear life in the hospital.

So I threw myself into cooking. Pastry, actually. It was my way of dealing with difficult times. I got started with an apple pie and worked my way to an orange cake and muffins. By the time the sun went down I had already finished cleaning the kitchen and parts of the living room. Juice came into the house. We didn't live together but we had keys to each other's house.

He tends to come to my house most of the time because it was bigger and closer to the workshop.

He halted at the door when he smelled the sweet odors that had flooded the house.

"It's not an anniversary, is it?" He asked, and I saw a little bit of trepidation on his face.

I smiled. "No. But I don't like that you're questioning it. I'm catching you unprepared."

He walked over to me and leaned down to kiss me. "I'd find a way to get away with it."

"Oh, of course you would."

"I came to bring you with me back to the club. There'll be drinks, maybe a little wrestling in the ring." He sat on the couch while he watched me sort out my books in the library. "You shouldn't stay in on a day like this much longer. I know it's not easy."

I appreciated him thinking of me. But I honestly had no interest in being surrounded by drunk bikers beating the shit out of each other and half-naked women seeking their companionship.

I put my books aside and settled myself in his lap, resting my head on his shoulder. "Go and have fun with the boys."

"Or I'll stay here and have fun with you." He said and started kissing me hard while his hands wrapped around my waist and traveled lower to stay on my ass.

I pulled back and saw the lust in his brown eyes. "Go to the club, baby. They need to know you're there, present. And then come back and I'll let you have a good time with me."

Juice left after devouring two pieces of apple pie and I went back to my cleaning. I was cleaning like a maniac until the clock on my wall read 12:20 at midnight. And that's when I stopped myself and decided to go to sleep.