2010, the beginning

The time of the year has finally rolled around when I can peace out of this place. It's not that I don't dig it here, I love London, it's my city, it's got my heart, and being with my family is everything. But I just need to chill for a bit. Wanted to jet off to Sydney and hang with Michael, my cousin, but being almost 14, flying solo is a no-go. But I guess luck is on my side this time. Mikey's dad has been working in London for the past month and now he's swinging by to pick me up and head to Sydney together. When I pitched the idea to my parents, they weren't sure at first, so I don't really know how I convinced them, but stoked they let me go and understood I really needed it after the stuff that went down in the last few months. I really gotta be with my cousin and feel at home, 'cause he's like home to me. With him, I don't stress about what to say or how to act, he just doesn't care, loves me for who I am, and I know he'll always have my back, no matter what goes down. He's my ride-or-die, and he'll be right there beside me.

"Okay then, you sure you got everything?" my mom asked, and I nodded with the biggest grin I could muster. But I stopped smiling shortly after; maybe it wasn't the right moment because my parents and my sister were looking at me with a bit of sadness. I guess it's normal since they won't see me for at least two months, and I won't even be able to celebrate my birthday with them. I hugged my older sister, Ivi. We have a great relationship, we love each other. She's 24 now and has a job she really enjoys, making good money, which is why she buys me a lot of stuff, and we go everywhere together, including with my other sister, Francesca, who's 18. The vibe with her is different; she's more complicated, so we don't get along as well. She's less affectionate, and she just gave me a pat on the shoulder and a "be careful and behave" as a farewell. After them, I embraced my parents, trying to escape the barrage of kisses my mom was showering on me. Didn't want to make a scene in front of everyone at the airport.

"Alright troublemaker, we really gotta go, or we'll miss the flight. Don't worry, big bro, I'll bring her back in one piece," said my uncle, giving my dad a hug.

"I know, thanks," my dad replied to my uncle, then turned back to talk to me. "Just one last hug!" I gotta be honest, it almost made me tear up. For me, my dad is everything; he's my platonic soulmate, always there for me whenever I need him, and I'll really miss him a lot. But I really need some me time. I need my cousin. I need to shut off my brain and stop hearing my thoughts.

***

"Scared?" my uncle jokes before the plane takes off. I chuckled quietly and looked at him, saying, "Too happy to be scared." Then, I grabbed my notebook and started jotting down some rough drafts. Every now and then, I like to write down whatever pops into my head; it helps drown out the noise inside my head and makes my heart feel lighter with fewer worries, paranoias, and unnecessary wrong or useless feelings.

***

"The flight went well, except for some turbulence that I didn't notice much because I spent most of the hours snoozing. It's a trick my dad told me to avoid feeling jet lag too much. Didn't want to sleep the whole day 'cause I wanted to spend it with Mikey. As soon as we got our bags, we headed straight to the exit where Mikey and his mom, Karen, were waiting for us. When my eyes finally spotted him, I dropped my bags and ran towards him, jumping into his arms. A tear rolled down my cheek, and I just wanted to stay in his arms. When he started hugging me tighter, running his hands down my back gently, he already knew I needed it and how much I missed him. No need for words.

"Hey cuddlebug, I missed you so much! I've got so many things to show you and tell you! Oh, and I gotta introduce you to my buddy, Calum. He might seem a bit... quirky, but he's cool, you'll like him," he said, breaking the hug and grabbing my suitcase, leaving me with just my duffle bag. I gave my aunt a hug too and then hand in hand, me and Mikey we headed towards their car to go home.