chapter 7: cry to me

Colorado, Christmas Eve 2009
Ivy's Cabin

warnings: swearing, alcohol, references to past abuse, insecurities, smut

8k words

Cry to Me - Solomon Burke

***

Ivy wasn't sure what to do with herself in the time it took to recover.

She was ordered to bed rest for three weeks, which took time away from preparing for school and work, which was definitely not good. In the end, she went back to work after only two weeks, still on crutches and with her leg in a cast.

As the months passed, she didn't respond to a single call or text from Daryl. It hurt, to say the least. She could feel her chest tighten every time he messaged her something like "hope you're ok" or "thinking about you" and she had to just ignore it.

Jared was long gone - in jail for who knows how long - but the paranoia didn't go away. The fear she felt when he told her that they had followed Daryl, knew his name, knew where he lived. Thinking about it all these months later still made her stomach turn - she couldn't put Daryl in danger like that, just to satisfy her urges to hear his voice and beg him to come see her.

And those urges were strong. She wanted to tell him all about how her new classes were, tell him that she finally finished grad school, tell him that the pumpkins she grew ended up a mess except for one measly little one that she put on her front porch. She wanted to hear his complaints about Merle, about how he wanted a new crossbow because his current one was starting to show its years, and hear about how lonely Georgia was without her there. Whatever hope she had of trying to play it off as casual and easy going was hopelessly gone - she was so invested in Daryl Dixon he might as well have been in every breath she took.

"Ivy?"

The blonde's head snapped up to look at Jenny, who was standing there with a hand on her hip and a cocked eyebrow. For the millionth time in the last two years, Ivy had been lost in her head thinking about a redneck from Georgia.

"Sorry," she said sheepishly, "What were you saying?"

Jenny rolled her eyes, but smiled, "I'm saying have you heard anything about this virus?" The redhead pointed to the box TV mounted on the wall, which displayed a headlines about a virus discovered in Europe.

Ivy scrunched her nose in disgust, "Cannibalism? Ew. Maybe that's just Europe."

"Whatever it is, keep it the hell over there."