(4) Let's hear it for the boys- Pt. 1

Steve and Soda fight over Y/n! <3

====================

"Morning losers!" 

The two boys turn their head as you walk in, your usual smirk plastered on your face. You run over to hug each of them.

"Hey y/n" Steve said and chuckled as Soda threw his rag at you. "You're late."

"I slept in. Anything exciting happen while I was gone?" you ask, beginning to stock shelves and stuff.

"Nah, nothin too crazy," Soda said and smiled at you, then he and Steve walked to the garage, leaving you to open. 

At precisely 7:00, you switch the "Closed" sign to "Open" and unlock the doors of the DX. About 30 minutes later, the usual crowd of girls started trickling in to see Soda. You were used to this, but it always annoyed you, especially when they started acting snobby towards you, as if you were competition. As far as you knew, Soda and Steve thought of you like a little sister, a best friend at most. And that was fine with you, you loved them both immensely and they were your best friends.

Just best friends. 

You are suddenly snapped out of your thoughts when someone says your name. You whip your head up to see Steve across the counter from you, smirking. 

"Daydreaming bout me?" he asks.

"Haha, very funny," you respond and hit him lightly as your face gets a little warm. 

Steve chuckles, then continues to stare at you, almost studying you. Before the silence can turn awkward, you ask, "So, where's Soda? You guys usually don't come in for a while."

He points to the front, where you can see about 5 girls gathered around Soda as he's working on a car. 

"I don't really enjoy watching all the ladies fawn over my best friend, and there's no business besides the car he's workin on, so I got nothin to do. I thought I'd come in and check on you, Y/n/n." 

"Oh did you now?" you ask and scoff, smiling. 

"Yup. I'm too kind, I know," he teased

You giggle and he flashes you that smile, his real smile, the one that you rarely see because he's so self conscious about it. You love his smile.

You suddenly realize how close your faces have gotten, and you stare into Steve's eyes as a weird feeling enters your chest. You don't know what's going on, but you watch as his gaze starts to drift down-

Suddenly, someone clears their throat, and you and Steve move your faces back to see a stone-faced Sodapop standing in the doorway. You feel yourself blush and don't know exactly why. 

"Uh, Steve, old man Miller's car is down again, and I gotta help this chick get some gas. Can you...?" 

"Yeah, coming," Steve said in a gruff tone, walking away from the counter. You saw him glare a little at Soda as he passed him, and Soda glared right back, then turned and gave you a weird look before walking back outside. 

This has been happening a lot lately. You've noticed the boys have started acting real strange around each other, especially when they were with you. Things like giving each other dirty looks and fighting more often.  You've also noticed an apparent shift in their attitudes towards you, like the scene with Steve a minute ago. 

You take a deep breath and try not to think about it for the rest of the day, instead focusing on working as much as you can until your shift is over.