The Hollowers (by Glenn Riley)

"Legends speak of them – not vampires, not shapeshifters, but something older, darker

"Legends speak of them – not vampires, not shapeshifters, but something older, darker. A twisted echo of things that should have never been."

The heavy veil of night draped itself over London, smothering the usual lively hum into an eerie lull. Grant and Monica, two paramedics in the London Ambulance Service, navigated the maze of streets, their vehicle a beacon against the relentless drizzle. Inside, the rhythmic thrum of medical monitors and the soft chatter of the radio offered a temporary illusion of normalcy.

"Ever think there's more to it?" Grant asked, his voice barely above a whisper as they passed under a flickering street lamp. "More than just the usual emergencies, that is?"

Monica glanced at him from the driver's seat. "Vampires and werewolves, the standard night shift folklore?"

"Not quite," Grant countered, a hint of unease etching itself into his features. "Sometimes, the tidiness of it all feels off. Car crashes, overdoses, the things we patch up and move on from. What if there's something darker beneath the surface?"

His words seemed to hang ominously in the air before the radio crackled to life. The dispatcher's tone was clipped, laced with urgency: "Ambulance 15, respond, emergency at the abandoned Braxton Mill, East End. Code Blue. Possible multiple casualties."

The quiet was instantly obliterated. With sirens blaring and lights flashing, the ambulance cut through the rain-slick streets, heading towards the dilapidated industrial heart of London's East End. Braxton Mill, a relic of a bygone era, loomed menacingly. Police swarmed the area, their spotlights painting frantic patterns across the overgrown lot.

At the edge of the police cordon, a harried officer briefed them, "Teenagers, trespassing. Something attacked them, there are serious injuries…." He gestured towards a group huddled together, their faces pale and drawn. "Only those got out alive."

Grant and Monica moved towards the group, and a chilling scream ripped through the night. There was a monstrous, guttural quality to it, a mingling of pain and something undeniably savage. Then, abruptly, it ended.

"Anna!" a girl shrieked, her voice cracking with terror. "Oh God, they have Anna!"

The paramedics shared a grim glance. Every second mattered. They plunged into the darkness of the mill, its gaping entrance a maw promising untold horrors. Inside, the air was a toxic mixture of damp, decay, and an unsettling metallic tang. The floor was littered with shattered equipment and broken glass. Amidst it all, the injured victims lay contorted, paramedics working feverishly beside them. The wounds were horrifying, gashes that spoke of inhuman strength tearing through flesh.

Anna Bestly lay among the victims, her eyes wide with fear, her skin a terrifying shade of bloodless white.

"We have to get her stabilized and go," Grant said to Monica, his hands moving swiftly to stem the flow of blood from a devastating wound. "Internal injuries are severe."