Chapter one

A gloomy sky loomed overhead as the sound of rolling thunder echoed in the distance. Dark clouds gathered on the horizon, signaling an approaching storm that matched the mood of the desolate landscape. Roaming the forest was none other than a man named Zaros. A man with many secrets and hidden knowledge. As he trudged through the thick woods, he heard the sounds of.. a baby babbling? Why would a baby be out here? Unless it was some creature mimicking a child but this sounded too close to a real baby to be a mimic.

Walking towards the sounds of the child, Zaros found a baby girl in a white dress. The dress was tattered and covered in crimson blood. Yet by the looks of it, it was too much blood to be her own. Yes, she had cuts and scrapes here and there but nothing life threatening. Taking the child in his arms, Zaros followed the blood stained leaves until he reached the corpse of the baby's mother. She had been brutally mauled as her chest was torn open, revealing her non-beating heart and flat lungs. Her stomach revealed half eaten guts and her blood was drained. Leaving her skin cold and whiter than a scared ghost.

This woman had gashes across her face, neck, and legs. One of her ankles had been broken in the run-in which probably gave whatever was after her an advantage. Leading to her unfortunate death. Somehow, whatever was after the mother forgot the child. Who appeared to be unaware of what had occurred or what was even going on. "I'll take care of you, little one." The vampire muttered as he turned heel to walk back to his lonesome castle. Zaros lived alone and typically liked it that way even if it could get lonely sometimes.

After walking back the way he came, the two made it towards his home, entering as Zaros carried the baby girl in his gentle embrace. "I'll call you... Lenora." Spoke the vampire as he set her down on his bed after making it to his room. Being a baby, the girl now named Lenora happily kicked her feet and waved her arms around while on her back. This earned a small, loving smile from Zaros as he had never had a child of his own. He never even considered one as he was an aromantic being. Yet Lenora needed someone and he was happy to provide. Hell, he couldn't just leave her to the wolves or whatever else roamed the desolate forest.

Zaros wasn't that kind of man and deep down already, he had developed a small attachment to the baby. Wanting to care for her and keep her safe no matter the consequences. Out of the blue, a sudden crack of thunder startled the small child which made her start to cry, tears streaming down her little cheeks. Being startled himself, Zaros cradled Lenora in his arms and carefully placed a tender kiss on her forehead. "Shhh.. shhh little one. You're alright and I'll protect you. You have nothing to fear." Zaros whispered to her as she gripped his finger tightly. His voice somehow also soothing the crying child.

Lenora played with his fingers for a brief moment before giving a tiny yawn. Her eyes fluttered shut as she slowly fell asleep in the vampire's arms. Once he was sure she had fallen asleep, he laid down on his back and kept the small girl on his chest with his arms protectively around her small frame. As the hours sped by, the rain ceased and the thunder disappeared. Leaving behind only the gloomy clouds that hung overhead. That was typical for this forest anyway so it kept the light out for the vampire. Not that the sun did too much to his body other than cause burns. The burns could get severe if not treated properly though which was always a risk if he went out during a sunny day. Although those types of days were practically nonexistent.

Zaros woke with a faint groan as he eyed little Lenora, making sure she was alright as she was still peacefully asleep. "Good morning, Lenora." Murmurs the vampire as he sat up slowly with her in his gentle arms. This was the start of her new life.. the daughter of a vampire. When Lenora was around two years old, Zaros took her with him into the woods one evening. This was because he was too afraid to leave her alone in the castle. Anytime he went out, he always carried the toddler with him. Yet this evening would be different from the rest. Usually when the vampire went out, nothing happened and he got what he came for.