Chapter 3

Lucy watches Jake leave and hesitantly stands up,

"By... Bye!"

Maybe he doesn't hear her, because he doesn't turn, and soon he has disappeared behind a corner.

"See you later!"

Perhaps she can visit him one day, and then he can show her around the city as he said he would. The girl he talked to walks over to her. She's dressed in black, with a pendant around her neck that has a star hanging from it.

"Hi, my name is Rachel. Jake told me that you needed somewhere to stay tonight."

Her voice is really kind, and she puts a hand on Lucy's shoulder.

"Yes, I just arrived in this city. I..."

"Ran away?, the girl says, smiling."

"Yes..."

"That's fine, you're not the only one. You can stay with me if you want. I have a nice house. It's a bit humid, but it's a good place".

"Really? Jake told me I could stay with him too."

"I'm sure he did.., she mutters".

The girl starts to walk, and Lucy hurries to get her backpack and follows. This is a nice city, just as she'd hoped for. Everyone is so friendly! Maybe it will be alright in the end, she can find friends here, and somewhere to live.

"So, where do you come from?, the girl asks."

Lucy mentions a town not far from here and Rachel nods.

"I've been there once. It's a pretty town. Have you seen much of this city yet?"

She keeps talking as they walk, pointing out places where you can get food, places to avoid and where the best sleeping quarters are in case Lucy would need them. It all goes so quickly and she's all dizzy from the kindheartedness that she doesn't notice when Rachel stops.

"Here we are."

They are standing in front of an abandoned building, the top floors in ruin.

"This is where you live...?, Lucy asks in wonder".

Rachel nods and walks over to a window at ground level.

"Come, I'll show you."

She climbs inside, and Lucy glances back at the street before she follows. She's never used a window as a door before, that's a bit strange... It's difficult to get inside, but she manages to tumble through the window and thumps down onto the sofa standing just below. She gets up and brushes the dust from her trousers.

"This is your home?"

She looks around the basement. There is a moth-eaten carpet on the ground, and the sink in the kitchen is rusted. The tap is held to the wall with rubber bands, and on a rickety table stands a lamp made out of beer cans.

"It's... nice..., she says hesitantly."

This must be how it is to live on the street. She can't expect a house like her old one. At least they have a roof over their head here.

"Are you hungry?"

Rachel takes a stained plate from the cupboard, opens a tin and pours the content onto the plate.

"Here."

"Thank you..."

She looks at the yellow mush on the plate. Is it safe to eat unheated tins? Dogs eat them, she knows. Rachel serves herself the same meal and sits down on the sofa. Perhaps this time it's okay..