Chapter 2

Lizabeth

I stepped inside the bathroom and stared at myself in the mirror. Red eyes, tear stained cheeks, swollen face; I was a mess. I turned on one of the taps in front of me, gathered some water in my palms and splashed it on my face to try to get myself looking human again. It didn't really do much. I wiped my face then hands on the towel resting on the rack to my left then pulled my phone out of my pocket.

I switched on my phone for the first time since I made the decision to get on the bus and come back to Saffron, two days ago. Once on, it immediately started vibrating with so many notifications crowding the screen; texts, missed calls, voicemails, emails, DMs. When it looked like it was all over, I started pouring through everything. Most of the texts were from my friends asking where I was and why I wasn't responding. Most of the calls were from my father. But nothing from....Him.

I was hoping he would at least reach out, even if it was to tell me lies. I was hoping he still cared.

I let out a sigh and started responding to everyone, telling them I decided to go back home for a bit. Why? It's been twelve years and I missed the place and my mother. Unfortunately, my phone died and my charger stopped working as to why I couldn't respond. It was good enough for my friends. My father, on the other hand, decided he needed to call me.

I cleared my throat before answering the call.

"You're back at Saffron?"

I sighed, "hello to you too, dad."

"What's going on really?"

I didn't respond.

"You just woke up one day and decided to leave? None of your friends even knew where you were or what had happened. We were starting to panic,"

I still didn't respond.

"I went over to your workplace. They told me you got fired. When were you going to tell me this?"

Still quiet.

"Lizabeth!" He snapped. "I am not having a conversation with myself here,"

I could hear the impatience in his voice. I could picture the frown on his face.

"I was going to tell you about it when I felt ready to discuss it,"

"Why did you get fired?"

Silence again.

He sighed, "if you went to Saffron because you thought you couldn't afford life in the city anymore, it wasn't necessary. You could have moved back in with me and Miranda till you got yourself situated."

I rolled my eyes. "I'm sure Miranda would have hated that,"

"Okay, fine. But Liza, what's really going on with you? Talk to me,"

My eyes started to sting. I found myself taking deep breaths for the millionth time.

"Nothing. I'm fine,"

"Don't lie to me,"

"Dad, I'm fine. And I'm sorry. I have to go,"

I hang up.

I looked at my reflection again, fixed my hair then got out of the bathroom
The smell of food had me making a beeline for the dining room. I found my mother finishing up with setting the table.

She looked at me and smiled, "just in time. Dinner is ready. You can finally eat after that long bus ride,"

And for dessert we had the pie Mary baked me.

**

I burst through the bathroom door and dropped to my knees in front of the toilet. I shoved my head into the toilet bowl and all the contents of my stomach spilled out my mouth.