Chapter 9

Lizabeth

I closed my office door behind me, my phone trapped between my ear and shoulder while two large folders rested in my arms. I speed walked to the elevator, regretting wearing heels. It's been the busiest week of my life. I've been eating and breathing work, and honestly I'm grateful for it. It's been a great distraction.

"Okay, okay. But hear me out," Samantha's voice spoke through the phone erupting a sigh from me. "He is intelligent AND handsome. You two would make such a great pairing!"

I got into the elevator and somehow managed to press the button to get it moving. I moved the folders to one arm and held my phone in my hand.

"Samantha, I told you I am not interested in dating right now."

This week I've also had to endure Samantha being on a mission to find me a boyfriend. She means well but it has been stressing me out.

"Yes, sweetheart, I know. But sometimes you realise that you needed something once you've had it," she said. I chuckled. As annoying as it was, I admired her ability to not give up.

The elevator stopped and the doors opened. I stepped out and resumed to my speed walking. I finally made it to my destination; a meeting with the marketing team.

"Look, Sammie. I'll call you later," I said then hung up. I took a deep breath then opened the doors to the room, knowing very well I was about five minutes late.

I walked into the room with a guilty smile on my face.

"Don't worry. Five minutes is forgiveable," Claire said as I took my seat.

"Okay great. Let's get started, shall we?"

My team consisted of four people; Claire, Tyler, Simon, and myself. So far my teammates were welcoming and extremely hard working. I pitched my idea to them and they immediately ran with it, analysing factors I didn't even consider. We had a couple of things we needed to finalise before actually jumping into the project.

Ten minutes into the meeting, the door swung open. And in stepped in the one, the only Bill Eden. He was dressed in a navy blue suit, slightly straying away from his usual black, his hair was neat and his aura, as usual, was commanding. We all stopped and just watched him. He closed the door quietly and looked at us with a knowing smile.

"Don't mind me. Continue with what you were doing," he said as he took the extra seat. He leaned into his seat, thumb rubbing the ring on his index finger. His face was blank and his eyes were pasted on me. I cleared my throat and looked away.

This behaviour was not strange coming from Mr Eden. In the short time I've been here, I've learnt that Bill Eden is unlike any boss I've ever worked for. He is strict and precise. He has his eyes, ears and hands in every division, making sure everything is done exactly the way he wants it. He dedicates certain hours in the day to monitor everyone, from the cleaners to the managers. He settles for nothing less than perfection and he expects everyone to be the same.

Claire warned me that as a new employee, Mr Eden will be watching me the most. This didn't help my already existing nerves.

"Okay. The list of influencers," Simon spoke reviving our discussions. I tried my best to focus, fighting the urge to turn and face Mr Eden. I could feel his eyes burning holes in my side. I anxiously tapped my fingers on the table.

Twenty minutes later, we were done. "What do you think boss?" Tyler asked making everyone, but me, turn to Mr Eden.

"I'm impressed really," he said "start as soon as possible." 

"Yeah!" Simon cheered making everyone laugh, including Mr Eden.

"You have Lizabeth to thank if I'm not wrong," said Mr Eden. I looked at him, heat rising to my face. "Good work," he added then got up and just left.

I felt a hand on my shoulder. I turned to see Claire smiling at me. "Relax, okay?" She said and I nodded, returning the smile.