Chapter 1. My Worst Nightmare

Monday, 7:56 a

Monday, 7:56 a.m. Start of the school year.

Today will be a great day. The flowers, the trees, the sun...

Bip Bip Bip...

The horrible sound of the alarm is the first thing that scares me, and of course, followed by my mother's sweet voice:

"Geneva, arise for the love of Christ. You're going to be late!"

Late to where?

Ignoring my mother's call and the horrific alarm, I put on my headphones that were on the nightstand and go back to sleep, burying my face as much as possible in the pillow so I don't hear her screams.

• • •

I was in a factory. I can't say exactly what it's about, but I know it's a factory.

"Hello? Is anyone here?"

I walked around a bit, trying to find a way out, or at least someone who could help me. 

The smell of putrefaction reached my nostrils and as if by magic, a giant rat appeared in front of me. I let out a cry of horror at the sight of his rotten teeth and tattered appearance. The smell of grime reached my nostrils, making me instantly gag.

"I think the sweet dreams your mom wished you aren't working," my subconscious whispered to me.

The rat starts to get closer, so I start running in the opposite direction.

The rat wasn't very fat, so it was gaining ground on me quickly. Afraid of being caught, I try to climb a ladder in the factory, but the rat climbs on top of me, causing us both to fall. Out of nowhere, beneath us there is nothing, only pure darkness.

"Let me go, you dirty rat with bad breath!" I cry out desperately, as we fall into the void.

And then a slap.

• • •

I wake up elated by how real that dream was and how real the slap felt. I scowl at the place where I stand. It's my room, yes, but I'm on the floor.

The sound of my mother's heels squeaking on the floor makes me look back at her. This one is squatting next to my head and very, very.

"Young lady," Mom begins. Her tone lets me instantly know she's angry. And it's to be expected, I'm sure he's late because of me."I'd really love to know who the lucky dirty rat with bad breath is, the protagonist and owner of your dreams."

I opened and closed my mouth like a fish a couple of times, before I knew that nothing would come out of it.

"Well, assuming you're not going to tell me, I've got to tell you we're late." She looked at his watch impatiently. "I give you fifteen minutes to bathe, get dressed, and have breakfast."