Four

Katherine's feet clomped on the floor, and echoes all though the room. Gosh these heels are uncomfortable. She thought. All beauty comes with a price.
"Katherine" his deep, velvety voice rang around the room. It came from behind her.
"Hello Damon" she said, turning slowly.
"What are you doing here" his tone was blunt. It irritated her. She had done him so much, yet he hated nonetheless.
"I don't want any trouble. I think I left something here in 1864" she stated. Damon sighed.
"And what would that be?"
"My mother's bracelet." She hoped he wouldn't be mean, this was a sensitive topic for her. "It's all I have left of her, since... well, you know" Damon tensed his jaw.
"Where is it" he asked, averting his eyes. He was uncomfortable. She could tell.
"The green house"
Damon's face fell. Katherine had a bad feeling about this. She was incredibly nervous for no reason.
"Katherine... the greenhouse was destroyed 15 years ago"

She would not cry. She was determined to not cry. She just lost the last thing that tied her to her mother, but at least she had dry eyes. Even as she willed herself not to cry, she could feel the tears prickling. Her eyes were blurring and her breath was getting harder. Her feet stumbled on the floor and her legs were folding over. Suddenly she was in the floor, clutching her abdomen and her eyes were streaming. She was in her knees crying in front of the Salvatore house. The Salvatore's were coming to be behind if her but she didn't turn. She could hear them calling her name but she didn't turn. She could feel someone's hand in her shoulder but she didn't turn. She could feel someone lifting her up by her shoulder but she clamped eyes shut.

Katherine drifted in and out of sleep for hours, tossing and turning. She was drowsy when she pulled the covers off and walked to the window. It was 3am. Katherine sighed and walked into the ensuite. Looking in the mirror, she saw the state of her. Her dress was crumpled and her face was messy with tear streaked makeup. Her hair was matted and her skin was dry. She sighed and peeled off her clothes.

The water was sharp on her skin. She could feel the days tension rolling off her body under the hit water. The steam caressed her skin and gently hydrated it. She shut the tap off and stepped out of the shower. She looked in the mirror and saw how puffy her face was. She grumbled.

Katherine's toes padded on the floor. Her breath came in a cloud of hot air. She slid the back door open and flicked at the cold air. She was wearing only one of Damon's tshirts and her panties. She jogged across lawn and stood in front of the scorned building. She could feel the tears swimming in her eyes again but fought back. Her heart beat raced as she stepped in ruins. The glass and iron walls were sloped and the roof was hanging on her head. She had to bend her head to walk through. Without thinking she walked to the southeast corner and crouched to the floor. Katherine sifted through the dirt and rubble.

Her hands touched something hard and cold. Katherine froze, breathing rapidly. She could feel the blood pulsing through her veins. Suddenly she was alert, digging through the dirt and grasping the lock box. She pulled it out and turned to sit down. Where was her purse? She was thinking intensely, backtracking to when she saw it last. It was on the floor in the room. She picked up the box and sprinted into the house. Katherine stumbled in the stairs and skidded her knee. She bit her Leo to stop her from making noise but she carried on.  Katherine ripped the door open and her feet skidded in the hardwood floor. She scrambled around for her bag and jumped on bed. Katherine ripped through her purse and pulled the necklace. She unclamped her necklace and let the key fall. She shoved it through the keyhole. Katherine turned the key at the top popped off.

                                         ☆

Katherine cradled her mother's bravely to her chest. Tears streamed down her face. Sobs caught in her throat. She had it. She had the bracelet. She had her mother again.