Chapter One: Cafeteria Food

Xander looked around the back of the dark and smelly trailer.

I guess this is how they deal with kids who resist, he thought. Normally, Xander would just teleport himself out of situations that he didn't want to be in, but he's tried that before. He's tried that four times, and four times they found him, hiding in dark alleyways or passed out from using his power too much. He was tired of running.

The back of the trailer opened, and Xander took a deep breath, the air was fresh, unlike the dirty, stale air that he'd been breathing for who knows how long. A figure was thrown in the back, and that was that. The hatch closed, and it was pitch black, except for a tiny crack in the side that let a minimal amount of light in. The figure groaned, and mumbled under his breath.

"Let me guess," Xander started, once his eyes had gotten used to the darkness again. The boy snapped his head up in shock. "You've tried outrunning them, but they always catch you in the end?"

The boy chuckled bitterly, "You could say that."

He didn't say anything else, and they lapsed back into silence. Xander started wondering where exactly they were being taken. A prison? A lab?

The hatch opened again and a gruff voice told them to get out. They crawled out of the container and into the sunlight. It burned both of their eyes. There was a huge sign that said 'Canadian Islands dock: 1 mile,' but other than that, nothing.

The man looked at them and spat in their faces. "Walk."

He got in the truck and drove away, and the two boys looked at each other. If they think I'm actually going there by my own free will, Xander thought, then they're insane.

But, when he started walking in the opposite direction, he got pulled back.

"Look," the boy said. "we either go to that island and see what they want with us, or we get chased down all over again. Do what you want, but I'm tired of running."

Xander followed him silently down the road, only stopping when the dock came into view.

Sitting beside the dock was a small boat, with three smiling teenagers and one man standing on the side. The man saw the two boys, and gestured them over. Xander climbed the steps of the boat, a heard the boy's footsteps behind him, but couldn't see anyone. He smirked. Invisibility, of course.

The man smiled. "You must be Xander Hall and Wes Oliver."

As the boat started up, Xander had to remind himself that this was not a one way trip.

---

Reed took a step into the fresh air of the island. With a smirk on his face, he strolled down the walkway towards the cafeteria. Today was the day that the newbies were coming. Which meant that Mia was slaving away in the kitchen to make a desirable meal. Reed was hoping it was her lasagna, because man, oh man, did he love that stuff. Reed spotted Laena as he continued down the pathway. He quickly ran up to her. "Hey Lae, you ready for the new batch?" Reed said out of breath.

"Yeah, I guess." She said, seeming uninterested.

"Come on, aren't you at least a little bit excited? I mean, we finally get to train." He tried to cheer Laena up, but sometimes that's pretty impossible. Laena looked at him with her big mysterious blue eyes and laughed bitterly.

"Yeah, it just means that my mom will be on my back even more than usual." She had an ongoing feud with her mother about, well, everything, especially her actions. Believe me, Reed knew all about their fights, because the one person Laena came to was him.

"At least the food will be good today. Mia is probably sweating away in that kitchen already." He joked.

"I swear, it's like the only people she wants to impress on this island are the newbies. Whenever we get a new shipload, the food is great, but it sucks the rest of the time. I guess we have to welcome them to this place somehow." She said, looking around. They got to the cafeteria and Reed opened the door for her.