Chapter Eight: Fight Club

Lae looked around the huge training hall. It was about the size of two basketball courts, with weight lifting machines and treadmills lining one of the walls. The room had a high ceiling, plenty of room for Reed to fly. Her eyes snapped to the door as it opened, revealing Reed.

"Ready for our fight, pretty boy?" She smirked. Today for training, they were having a big fight between Lae and Reed for a demonstration. They had been paired together for fights before, but Lae was feeling much more competitive this time around.

"Most definitely." Reed smirked. "But the real question is: are you ready for your butt to get kicked?"

"Yeah right," She said, glaring at him. Before she could think of a comeback, Jo and Sunny burst through the door.

"WHOOPS! Sorry we are so late!" Sunny said.

"It's fine," Reed laughed at their dramatic entrance.

"Besides," Laena said. "Wes and Xander aren't even here yet." Just as she finished her sentence, Wes materialized right beside her.

"Excuse you, Laena, I've been here longer than you have." His deep voice said beside her. She tried to hide the fact that she flinched when he showed up, but everyone knew that it didn't work.

"Hey Lae, you're afraid of Wes now? What's next, a kitten?" Reed jokes.

She shook her head. "Reed, let's not forget that one time yo-" Reed's hand shot out to cover her mouth, interrupting her sentence. Lae laughed, and he lifted his hand, she started telling the story, but was stopped again. She planned on licking his hand, but Xander walked in at that moment, and Lae pushed Reed away.

"Okay you guys, let's get started! I know we've had a few days of break from training, but last time, we were working on fighting with our powers, and we promised you that Reed and I would fight each other for a demonstration." She looked over at him and smirked. He gave her a slight worried look and then looked away. Of course he is worried... he always is. She grabbed his hand and dragged him to the front of the group. "You ready?" Lae asked.

Reed nodded getting into his ready position. She held in her laughter, Reed was focusing too much, causing him to have a crease between his eyebrows. But Lae had to admit it was kind of cute. She stretched a little, loosening her shoulders and muscles before getting into her stance. "Don't go easy on me." She said, her tone serious.

He smiled. "Wouldn't dream of it, Lae-lae" That's when the real fighting began. They used normal tactics, like punching and blocking, just like they were taught. But when Reed expanded his wings, she knew the real fun what about to begin. Although Reed had been using his advanced hearing for the whole fight, that didn't compare to what fighting with his powers really meant. Sure the hearing helped, and sure the wings got in the way sometime, but it got more fun when he did decide to use his power. He flew up into the rafters, away from her view. Darn it! If she couldn't see his eyes, there wasn't much she could do.

"What are we doing, Reed? Playing hide and seek like little kids?" She laughed in her head, fully aware that they had done just that a few weeks ago.

Reed's laugh echoed through the gym. "Oh just wait, love."

She blushed at the nickname, but suddenly got an idea. She pinpointed where the laugh was coming from, and ran to the opposite side of the gym. One of the lessons she had to go through in training was scaling walls with almost nonexistent hand and foot holds. She quickly began to climb up the wall, not having to look down to know that the others were staring at her like she was insane. She eventually got up to the air conditioning vents in the rafters, and started to walk across them. Once she could see his figure, she tried to send messages to him. Look this way. Turn around. After a few tries, he turned to look at her, and his eyes widened.