1 // Yara

"Dearly beloved, today we gather to pay our last respects and bid farewell to Caterina Morello," the priest began, his voice resonating with solemnity

A woman's loud sobs pierced the silence, followed by the soft chorus of quiet sobbing from others. I rolled my eyes so hard that it almost reached the heavens.

These old hags didn't know when to shut the fuck up.

"Let us remember her as a devoted wife, loving mother, cherished sister, and beloved daughter. May her memory be a source of comfort and inspiration to us all."

A snort escaped me, drawing a sharp glare from my stepmother. Despite knowing the repercussions that would follow, I shifted my gaze forward, feigning indifference. Nonna Caterina, far from being a source of solace, only evoked memories of nightmares and anguish for me.

Out of everyone in my family, Noona hated me the most. While others could be mean, her disdain for me ran deeper. Despite her reputation for kindness, she never failed to remind me of my status as the family's stain. In her eyes, I was my father's shame and the disappointment of our family.

She despised me with such intensity, surpassing even the contempt she held for her unfaithful and promiscuous husband. Since childhood, she took pains to remind me that I didn't belong in their flawless family dynamic. She made sure to ingrain it into my mind every chance she got. Knowing I could never meet her standards, I never bothered trying to impress her or fit in.

I was so happy that the bitch was finally dead.

Let us now offer our prayers for her eternal peace and for strength to her grieving family. Amen."

I clasp my hands together and offer a silent prayer. I prayed that God would send her to the deepest parts of hell where she'd suffer for all eternity.

Wait, that's too easy.

I muttered another prayer under my breath, my tone tinged with bitterness. I imagined her being welcomed into heaven, thinking she'd dodged punishment, only to get sent right back to hell before she could even blink. The thought of that brought a genuine smile to my face.

Feeling a small tug at my left, I glanced down to see my young stepbrother looking up at me. "Do you think Nonna would miss her special bowl from Puglia? I wonder if they have those in heaven," he says, tilting his head and gazing at me with those wide green eyes that everyone in the family shared.

Everyone but me.

I crouched down to his level, meeting his innocent gaze with a sinister smile. "Oh, they have Puglia bowls alright," I replied, his eyes lit up with a smile. "But in hell, those bowls will be filled with rats and cockroaches, because that's where Nonna is going."

I watched with a mixture of gleeful anticipation and twisted satisfaction as his face contorted, his eyes widening in shock before a loud cry erupted from his mouth, startling everyone around us.