4 // Yara

"That's sufficient," my stepmother comments, indicating a long red dress with a snug waist

"That's sufficient," my stepmother comments, indicating a long red dress with a snug waist. "It's the only one that manages to make her look less pathetic."

With a brisk nod, the maid practically forces me into the dress. Today is the day I'll finally meet my infamous fiancé, and my stepmother was tasked with making sure I looked appealing enough to stand beside the Don.

I was supposed to attend a public function with the Don and try to sell the fact that we were 'happily' engaged. I didn't even know what this man looked like, all I knew was his name and his reputation.

"Even with a whole new makeover, the stench of your uselessness is still all over you," my stepmother sneers, giving me a disgusted look. "It would take a miracle for the Don to even look in your direction."

"You should offer him your daughter instead, considering I'm such an embarrassment," I quip back.

"I'd never allow Allegra to marry a murderer," she retorts, her glare sharp and her tone biting.

"Yet you married one." My voice was dangerously low. Most made men in the mafia had killed men. Murder wasn't even the most vile crime on the list of things the men in the mafia did.

"How dare you speak of your father in that way?" Her hand trembles and I know she wants to hit me desperately, but she couldn't.

"See? You can't deny it because you know it's the truth." I smile wryly. "Allegra was born into the mafia, it's her fate to end up with a murderer. There's nothing you can do about it."

Her expression darkens, and she snaps. "If you think that marrying the Don is going to give you some type of leverage over us, think again Yara. You are a lowlife, no amount of status is going to change that."

I bite back the comeback at the tip of my tongue, the last thing I wanted to do was upset myself further. I turn away from her and try to breathe while reminding myself that it was only a few more weeks before I'd be out of this goddamned place.

"Now listen to me very carefully," my stepmother says, gripping my face firmly to meet her gaze. "You must not mess this up. I don't care if you have to slut yourself out to him, but you must ensure the Don goes ahead with this marriage. If you embarrass this family one more time, I'll make sure you live to regret it."

She releases me and steps back, turning her attention to the maid. "Fix her makeup and make sure she's downstairs in ten minutes."

"Think of this as a way of paying us back after all these years of leeching off us," my stepmother adds before stepping out of the room.

I wanted to hit her so badly with a mallet, or preferably something heavier. I had to contain my murderous intent if I was supposed to survive this.

I took my sweet time getting downstairs, deliberately delaying my arrival. The prospect of attending a function with my supposed "fiancé" and attempting to get to know each other on the way there didn't exactly fill me with enthusiasm.